Macbook Pro15-inch: 2.2GHz with Retina display

Reaction score
I'd like to buy this for my partner.
He likes to play these Call of Duty games - shoot and kill - would this be any good?
He currently plays on windows.
I have asked in the shops and they all say yes, but am not sure if this can be trusted.
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
He currently plays on windows.

Does he have any Macintosh computer and/or Mac OS experience? You certainly don't want to purchase something this expensive if he is not very experienced with the Mac OS and Apple computers.

- Nick

C

chas_m

I think what Nick *meant* to say is that while it is perfectly okay to buy something like this if you're new to the Mac platform, one would of course want to be sure that the recipient is interested in making the switch.

If experience was required before you bought a Mac, almost nobody would buy a Mac -- and certainly not any switchers!

So anyway, the MBP 15-inch you describe can handle Call of Duty just fine, along with most other high-end games (if they are available for the Mac). The base 15-inch model comes with Intel Iris Pro graphics, which meets all but the very highest needs. The deluxe model includes a second, and discreet, Nvidia GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory, which is an extremely powerful card and ideal for people who are buying a Mac or PC with primarily an interest in high-end gaming.

If he uses the computer PRIMARILY for gaming, he'll want the deluxe version or possibly to reconsider his options. If he primarily uses the computer for other kinds of entertainment or productive purposes, the base model should be fine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think what Nick *meant* to say is that while it is perfectly okay to buy something like this if you're new to the Mac platform, one would of course want to be sure that the recipient is interested in making the switch.

If experience was required before you bought a Mac, almost nobody would buy a Mac -- and certainly not any switchers!

You are right…there are certainly many folks that purchase Mac's will little or no experience (but hopefully have at least done some research). When I think of experience I think of:

- exposed to Mac's in high school or college
- exposed to Mac's at work
- friends or relatives with Mac's
- been to an Apple Store (or other store that sells Mac's) and had their hands on one

Or at least has expressed interest in getting a Mac.:)

I think that what I was mostly concerned about with the OP's situation is…making sure that the person receiving the Mac is not a "hard-core" Windows person…or has at least expressed an interest in owning a Mac.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Absolutely. There is nothing sadder in this world than an unwanted Mac! :)

This is exactly what I was/am concerned about.:) An unwanted or unloved Mac!;)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
I switched to Mac 4 years ago and had no problems at all. Many people warned me that it would be hard, but it's been pure bliss. I don't consider myself to be very computer clever and was surprised that lots of people went through courses of all things.
Back to partner and the Macbook, he's not a fanatic player but has his moments. Doesn't use the computer much for anything else bar watching movies and some browsing, a pure waste I know. The other option is to buy a 'normal' laptop and throw it out again after 2 or 3 years. That's what I like about Apple.
I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro 13 and still goes like a rocket. Should he use that one and I buy a new one haha?
Thanks heaps

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro 13 and still goes like a rocket. Should he use that one and I buy a new one haha?

I think that would be a super plan…as long as the 2011 MBP meets his gaming needs.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.