MacBook Pro with hissing sound

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro and periodically I hear a hissing/static sound coming from the speakers. My research to date indicated it could be a hard drive failure. I took my laptop to an Apple service center and paid for a diagnostic test. after 1 week they returned the laptop and stated they could not find any issues. Should I be concerned that they missed something and i will be experiencing a HD failure? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I utilize time machine the back up my files. Is this enough to insure I will not suffer a total loss?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What is the model year of your MBP, and what is the screen size?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
More information needed! But if it is a newer MacBook Pro it will have an SSD and they don’t make any sound. Hissing could be a speaker sound issue.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Could it be the fans instead? Normally they are pretty quiet, but can pick up if the CPU gets busy and the temp goes up. Do you hear it if you use headphones/earbuds?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The model and year MacBook Pro you're referring to would be helpful. ;)

The latest model 16" MacBook Pros from Apple have been known to have what is commonly called "Coil Whine". Coil Whine is supposedly caused by the higher CPU bus speeds and newer type PCIE SSDs used by Apple. Folks that have complained of this "Coil Whine" state that it's a hissing sound. I have listened to some examples of it from several tech sites and it can be real annoying for some folks with sensitive hearing.

Apparently is does not occur with all 16" MacBook Pros. One fellow exchanged his new 16" MBP with Apple several times before he got one that wasn't as "hissy".

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a MacBook Pro and periodically I hear a hissing/static sound coming from the speakers. My research to date indicated it could be a hard drive failure.

Better double check that research::)

- If it's an older MacBook Pro with a "spinner" HD...the hard drive is not near the speakers. Spinner HD is located to the side of of the trackpad...about as far from the speakers as you can get.
- If it's a newer MacBook Pro with an internal SSD...as already mentioned...SSD's have no moving parts & usually don't emit any sound.

* Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Should I be concerned that they missed something and i will be experiencing a HD failure? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I utilize time machine the back up my files. Is this enough to insure I will not suffer a total loss?

They nor any other techs can not guarantee that Mac won't suffer from some failure in the future, and they didn't seem to think there was anything seriously wrong at this point,.

As for backup, I would seriously suggest you keep at least TWO recent Bootable Clones as well as your Time Machine backup using something like Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) or SuperDuper (SD) applications if your data is valuable and worth keeping.

As they say about a computer and hard drives, it's not a question of IF they are going to fail but WHEN!!!

- Patrick
======

OP
M
Reaction score
Macbook Pro (Retina Mid 2012)
15.4" display 2880x1800

- - - Updated - - -

Do not use headphones or earbuds with this laptop.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Where can I get either of the cloning Apps? Is one better than the other?

Nick kindly provided the source above, but just in case you were thinking about it, please do not restrict yourself to using a single Backup Drive when using the cloning applications.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.