Macbook Pro Will Not Boot with Yosemite

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Yesterday my Macbook Pro 2011 shut down in the middle of me working on it. I assume it was because the auto updater reached its countdown. When I tried to restart it, the startup sound played, apple logo was displayed, and it asked for my login. I logged in, and the update bar started moving. All was well up until it reached around halfway, then the logo and update bar disappeared, leaving me with a grey screen. I read online that this may be an issue when updating, and the key was to leave it on. I left it at the grey screen overnight, and it was still like that in the morning :Oops: .

Holding shift on startup doesn't work, as it brings me to the login screen regardless. Any ideas??

-Gills

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're slightly vague as to what it is you were doing. We're going to assume you were trying to install Yosemite? If that's correct, restart your MBP and hold down the command + r keys at the same time. The machine will boot to recovery. From there you can attempt to reinstall Yosemite using internet recovery.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi Chscag,

Yosemite was already installed when the MBP restarted automatically. When I hold down any command keys on startup, nothing happens as it goes straight to the login screen. I'll try again tonight when I get home.
Thanks for the help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.