Macbook pro unibody bootup noise

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the late 2009 macbook pro unibody 15" with 500GB HD and 2.8gigz, I was just wondering what that hardware whining noise is coming from when first booting up. Not sure if its the HD or the super drive, but I know it did this when I first bought it brand new also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" uMBP 2.8Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB HDD OS X 10.6
i have the same macbook pro and just started having the same noisy fan issues. seems to be coming from the lower left hand side, left of the touchpad. butters, where is your noise coming from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
When you boot up your MBP, the superdrive attempts to load a disc (as it is a slot drive) - this is the noise you are hearing and is nothing to worry about.

OP
B
Reaction score
so its not the hard drive but its the optical drive? Why would it attempt to load a disc if I decide to boot from the HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
There is a boot order that the Mac passes through. It has to include the optical drive before the HDD because otherwise, if your HDD became corrupt and you need to boot via the OS X disk, you wouldn't be able to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EXCELLENT answer, True Bassist.

I aim to please...

and if I can't, I aim to make a random and completely worthless contribution to this society that hopefully at least one person with laugh out loud to in a most inappropriate environment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.