MacBook Pro Shutdown

Reaction score
My MBP has been having a problem lately shutting down properly. More than half the time, the MBP does not make it to the blue screen and shut down. Most of the time, I've got to hold down the power button to force the shutdown.

In terms of software, I noticed the problem shortly after installing ShapeShifter, Application Enhancer, and ClearDock. I have subsequently removed ShapeShifter, but have kept ClearDock, and as a result, Application Enhancer.

Could this be the problem? What else would cause this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
Hmm,

I wonder if creating another user profile (one without AppEnhancer, Cleardock, Etc) then logging in and shutting down from there may help pin point your issue.

Of course, if you installed AppEnhancer using the "all users" option this may not work

Of course, if you haven't tried already repair permissions. This *may work, though not necessarily :)

OP
V
Reaction score
It happens after the computer has been on for a long time (12 hours or longer). Could the logic board need replacement? It shutdown properly when the computer has been on for a short period of time.

OP
V
Reaction score
On April 17, it will be a year since purchase. I assume that I have a one year warranty? I purchased it at Best Buy though. I'm sure the Apple Store will honor the warranty....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
The machine comes with a one year limited warranty from Apple. It doesn't matter if you purchased it at Best Buy.

If you're curious about your warranty status you can run an entitlement here with your system serial number

http://www.apple.com/support/

OP
V
Reaction score
What about an app not closing properly? Would that cause my problem with shutdown?

M

MacHeadCase

Well you should quit all apps to make sure before you shut down. See if you notice any differences.

OP
V
Reaction score
I'm seeing a huge difference between the shutdown of the MBP with and without opening Firefox. It seems as though Firefox may be causing a problem. Maybe its not quitting properly.

M

MacHeadCase

Check to see if you have the latest Firefox installed. There were a lot of big problems involving the second to last version. If you do have the latest version, use another browser till the dev team gets its act together for a more stable version. :spook:

OP
V
Reaction score
Its not Firefox. I didn't use it. I removed it from my system. I proceeded to use the MBP for about an hour, tried to shut it down, and the same problem. I'm taking it to Apple sometime tomorrow.

Reaction score
You've got me curious. Could you let us know what happens with it??? :bandage:

OP
V
Reaction score
You've got me curious. Could you let us know what happens with it??? :bandage:

Something tells me it may be a bad logic board OR Application Enhancer. Not sure, but I'm tired of troubleshooting. I have an appointment at the Genuis Bar this afternoon. The reason why I am leaning towards a bad logic board is because the computer is getting noticably HOT after a half hour. Maybe the heat is causing the computer to not properly shut down.

I'm able to get into the Console application, but I can't make ANY sense of what anything in those logs mean. I'm sure someone at the Genuis Bar can make sense of that.

Hopefully its something stupid. I can live without Application Enhancer, if that is the case....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.