MacBook Pro running extremely slow

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a MacBook Pro 15 Inch, Mid 2010. Specs are 2.66 i7, 4GB Ram, Nvidia GT 330M, and a 500GB HDD.

Basically the title says it all, everything I do is terribly slow, opening applications is the most frustrating as it can take up 5 or more minutes just to open more than one app at once. And its nothing crazy like oh open these 10 apps please at light speed, no I mean like open safari and system preferences. Booting up is still decent for not being a SSD it takes like 2-3 minutes which is fine by me. If I do that everything goes to ****. Some things I have done to try and solve this would include running Onyx for housekeeping. That didn't work so I reformatted the whole thing, completely erasing the drive, and the problem still persists. I have checked the smart status of my hard drive and apparently its okay still, but I feel like my hard drive is dying slowly and painfully but I have no clue because this has been going on for a while, so any help is greatly appreciated as I would like to not go drop 2 grand for a new macbook.

Reaction score
This is why.

Yosemite requires 8 gig's of ram or better for it to be stable and reliable the 4 gig system requirements listed on apples app store page for yosemite is misleading certain macintoshes like the macbook air only require 2 gig's of ram to run yosemite because the SSD in the machine makes the o.s run smoother and not require additional ram.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That machine can boot to the OS in ~30 seconds. You are correct, this is typical for a dying drive and all the testing software will report there is nothing wrong with it.

The only way to solve it, is to replace it which can be done for under $100. If looking for a HD, am still recommending the WD black if those have enough space for your needs.

This is the new paradigm for failing hard drives instead of the old clicking sound we all were familiar with.
My '06 MBP with a 500 GB WD Black still boots in 28 seconds running 10.7.

My first experience with this action of modern drives was with a brand new drive going into a custom built Win box. I did no less than 4 reinstalls of the OS. Testing software all reported the drive was just fine. After sending the manufacturer an email of what was happening at noon on a Saturday, they had a replacement drive in my mailbox on Monday - no questions asked. I've owned and seen a lot of drives with the exact same symptoms.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.