MacBook Pro Retina update to Catalina without working hd

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a kind of a big problem. I have a MacBook Pro Retina ( A1502 ) that had a problem with the internal SSD. No problem to replace the SSD, but all SSDs I find require High-Sierra or later. Sadly, Sierra is installed on the Macbook.
I can get the new SSD (of cause I bought one, because ... ) to work if I make an Internet-Recovery with the newest possible system (Catalina, alt+cmd+r). I can also install the new system (Catalina) on the new drive, BUT, if the computer restarts, it can not access the new drive, because there seems to be still an old EFI.

How can I upgrade the whole system to Catalina including the Efi or any other advise?

Best regards
Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Since you have a Retina MBP, you will be able to use Internet Recovery, About macOS Recovery - Apple Support, refer to the bottom of this article, where it states "If you can't startup from macOS Recovery".

OP
M
Reaction score
Since you have a Retina MBP, you will be able to use Internet Recovery, About macOS Recovery - Apple Support, refer to the bottom of this article, where it states "If you can't startup from macOS Recovery".

Hello,

I´m able to boot from the internet recovery and also from an external drive. But it seems the new EFI, that is necessary to use the new internal ssd is not written, installing Catalina either way. I can not boot from the internal SSD, even if the Catalina install files are on this.

Best regards
Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
To be clear, the install files are NOT bootable. It might be the EFI that is preventing you from booting, but all you have on the drive are the installer files, they are not bootable. The internet installation process should have installed the system to the internal drive and set the EFI to allow it to boot.

I'm slightly confused by your sentence:
I´m able to boot from the internet recovery
What does that mean, exactly? The internet installation should install either the latest system that runs on your machine, or the system that originally came with it. Either will do for your purpose, as you can upgrade from the original to whatever more current system you want. You also said earlier:
all SSDs I find require High-Sierra or later. Sadly, Sierra is installed on the Macbook.
SSD's don't require HS, they can be used with older systems. Sierra should be able to use an SSD just fine. Which of the eight MBPs that use the A1502 model number do you have? All of them are from 2013-2014, I think. I have an SSD in a 2008 iMac running El Cap, so you should be able to use an SSD with Sierra.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hello MacInWin,

sorry for the confusion, but I'm not sure what is going on exactly.

The Macbook I have had an SSD. So it can definitely work with an SSD, but all SSDs I found online requested at least system HighSierra, because they would not work with anything lower because they need a new EFI. It was clearly mentioned to install HS or higher BEFORE swapping the SSD. This was not possible for me, because my original SSD was dead. I thought, I will find a solution..... my mistake.

It seems when you install a system from the recovery-mode it writes all install files on the harddrive, like you said, BUT does not write a new EFI. So it can not boot from the internal SSD to finish the installation.

I thought to solve the problem by booting from an external drive, but the result was the same.

I just bought a cheap, used original 128gb macbook pro SSD. I might be able to get trough the installation process and update the EFI. Then I can swatch to my brand new 510gb ssd....

Best regards
Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I have never heard of that before. Good luck with it. I don't know how a used SSD is going to change the EFI situation, but who knows?

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi,

I have digged a bit deeper in the documentation of the manufacturer of my new SSD. It is a PCIe Gen3x4 ssd and this is supported just from HighSierra EFI up...

Best regards
Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Let's start here; what OS versions do you have in your App Store?
Do you have any other Macs tat you have access to?
You mentioned an external drive, but is it a clone, or does it have an installed version of macOS?
What specific model and year is your MBP? More device information is needed.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi Ferrarr,

the last version that was installed on this specific MacBook is Sierra. I have a couple of Macs, most now on Catalina.
On the external drive is a bootable installation image of Catalina.
The MacBook is a 13" MacBook Pro Retina a1502. Not sure about the year, I ´m in the office right now and do not have access to the Macbook, now.

BR Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
Hello Ferrarr,

no, I tried this. Seems the Efi is just updated from the drive it started.

But I was able to buy a used 128gb ssd out of an old MacBook. It was no problem to update the system to Catalina and then replace the SSD with my new one. Now everything works as expected. It was just a very long way to achieve this.

Best regards Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
hi guys I think the problem he is having is using a non Apple Blade SSD,

as the original firmware was never updated to allow newer drives and that's his problem he needs a firmware update to the MBP to fix the problem he has / or he needs to source an original Apple Blade SSD

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, I think you are right. I tried to explain this. Seems I was not to successful in this attempt.

But for me the issue is down. Everything works now

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.