Macbook pro retina (mid2014) - crushed screen?

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I've recently bought a brand new 15inch macbook pro with retina display from an authorized reseller (Cortland) here in Poland. I had no problems with it at all for about 4 months but then suddenly something terrible happened - part of my screen turned black (as a matter of fact it started with gray, but about 10 hours later turned black and so it remained) without a reason - at least I cant think of anything that may have caused the problem (I havent spilled any liquid on my computer or dropped it). The only strange thing I can think of is that from the very beginning when I was pressing the unibody case on the other side of the screen, everything was perfectly ok except of the lower-left corner. It was kinda "pulsating" even if I pressed very lightly, but I wasn't really paying attention to it since it wasn't affecting normal computer usage.
So, when a black strip on the left side of the screen appeared (out of nowhere, I just opened the computer and it was there) I wanted to check out what happened and I pressed (probably "touched" would be a better word here since I was very careful knowing that the screen reacts oddly in this area) and then it "cracked". I have no idea what happened, but now the screen looks like something inside is broken and I dont know what to do.
Macbook is of course still under warranty but we don't have any official apple stores here in Poland - only "authorized resellers" and "authorized services" who probably have to contact apple somwhere in Europe when they for ex. want to change the broken computer for a new model. Im a little bit worried that they will try to convince me that this is my fault and its mechanical failure so its not under warranty, and I really dont have money to pay for the replacement of whole screen. So my question is - what do I have to say in the service so they would take my macbook and repair it. I will be visiting London for 4 days in the near future so there is an option that I can go to apple store there and try my luck but will they manage to repair my laptop in that period of time? Is it better idea to go to apple store in London or to do something in Poland? I will be grateful for all suggestions and help

ps. here's the photo of how my screen looks right now: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6PiO3hWo5M8NWtpN09NNlRMMnRxYk5KVjBabEVjYWdGU19N/view?usp=sharing
ps2. sorry for my bad english

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your English is very good. However, I'm afraid that when Apple sees that crack in the screen, they're going to tell you that it is not covered by the warranty. I hope you can convince them otherwise, but don't get your hopes up.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your English is very good. However, I'm afraid that when Apple sees that crack in the screen, they're going to tell you that it is not covered by the warranty. I hope you can convince them otherwise, but don't get your hopes up.

Well that's what I would like to avoid - is there anything you can advise me to tell when I will be talking to the people at the apple store? Because I really dont think that any computer should react in that manner to what I would call "normal usage" - I have just pushed it very lightly to check out what's going on and that's all. If that is normal with apple computers then maybe I have spent that $2k on wrong device. If it wasn't the pressure I made it would crack anyways if I would lay a book or anything on my laptop.

ps. which particular crack are you reffering to?
ps2. also, do you know how long can it take them to repair/replace that kind of issue in apple store?

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well that's what I would like to avoid - is there anything you can advise me to tell when I will be talking to the people at the apple store? Because I really dont think that any computer should react in that manner to what I would call "normal usage" - I have just pushed it very lightly to check out what's going on and that's all.

I have a feeling that opening the computer to inspect things…and the item that was touched that cracked…are going to be two things that may have voided the warranty.

I understand that you may have limited repair options in Poland…but it may have been better to not have opened up the computer. Since it is covered via Applecare for 12 months…the first thing to do would have been to visit Apple. Whenever you have a warranty as good as Applecare…let Apple do the inspecting.

I would say that you are better off visiting an Apple Store…but it is also possible that what was done already (opened the computer & cracked something)…may have voided the warranty (Applecare).

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I have a feeling that opening the computer to inspect things…and the item that was touched that cracked…are going to be two things that may have voided the warranty.

I understand that you may have limited repair options in Poland…but it may have been better to not have opened up the computer. Since it is covered via Applecare for 12 months…the first thing to do would have been to visit Apple. Whenever you have a warranty as good as Applecare…let Apple do the inspecting.

I would say that you are better off visiting an Apple Store…but it is also possible that what was done already (opened the computer & cracked something)…may have voided the warranty (Applecare).

Good luck,

- Nick

Well I'm not sure if you got me - I have not opened unibody casing and looked inside the computer, I have just opened the computer to use it and then I saw the black stripe. At that point I had gently touched the back, aluminium part of the screen in the lower-left corner and then it cracked. That's all what I did

Yes, we only have "authorized services" in here and Im pretty sure they have to contact apple store in Europe anyway when it comes to serious repairs/replacements so I think visiting an apple store in London will shorten the whole process, don't you think?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I'm not sure if you got me - I have not opened unibody casing and looked inside the computer, I have just opened the computer to use it and then I saw the black stripe. At that point I had gently touched the back, aluminium part of the screen in the lower-left corner and then it cracked. That's all what I did

Ok…I misunderstood what you meant by "I just opened the computer" in post #1. Good to hear that you didn't actually open the case!:)

If all you did was touch the area and it cracked…this tells me that some sort of stress was already present in this area…and the small amount of extra pressure that occurred when the display was touched was all that was needed for the crack to happen. My first thought is the computer was either dropped or it received a hard bump in the past…and this area was weakened.

What you have to remember is…Applecare ONLY covers manufacturing defects…not accidents. When someone at Apple sees that you've had this computer for 4 months (and there's a crack in it)…the first thing Apple is going to think is…the owner broke it. Because if the owner received the computer in this condition (brand new)…the owner would not have waited 4 months to bring it back to Apple. The owner would have returned to Apple the very next day…or a couple days…not 4 months.

This situation may or may not have happened this way…but this is what just about any logical thinking person at Apple will think. Laptop computer displays don't just spontaneously crack. They only crack if the computer was exposed to some sort of stress that the computer was not designed to withstand.

...so I think visiting an apple store in London will shorten the whole process, don't you think?

It's possible that this will shorten the process. But if the London store is like the stores in the United States...it still may take 5-7 days to get it repaired (they sometimes need to ship the computer to a repair facility…then ship it back). So if you are going to be in London this long or longer…then it should work out.:)

But as to whether Apple will repair it for free (or if you will have to pay for the repairs)…this is a different matter.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
If all you did was touch the area and it cracked…this tells me that some sort of stress was already present in this area…and the small amount of extra pressure that occurred when the display was touched was all that was needed for the crack to happen. My first thought is the computer was either dropped or it received a hard bump in the past…and this area was weakened.

What you have to remember is…Applecare ONLY covers manufacturing defects…not accidents. When someone at Apple sees that you've had this computer for 4 months (and there's a crack in it)…the first thing Apple is going to think is…the owner broke it. Because if the owner received the computer in this condition (brand new)…the owner would not have waited 4 months to bring it back to Apple. The owner would have returned to Apple the very next day…or a couple days…not 4 months.

This situation may or may not have happened this way…but this is what just about any logical thinking person at Apple will think. Laptop computer displays don't just spontaneously crack. They only crack if the computer was exposed to some sort of stress that the computer was not designed to withstand.

Well, first of all - thank you for all your help.
In fact, computer wasn't dropped or anything like that, and "something was wrong" with that lower-left corner of the screen from the very beginning (as I said, "pulsation" when pushing the screen from the other side - didn't happen with other corners) but it wasn't affecting my everyday computer usage so I didn't pay much attention to it (so basically that's why I "waited" 4 months). The first, black stripe came out of nowhere. The crack was, on the other hand, somehow caused by me, but just by that one little push - and I think it shouldn't happened with a normal macbook. As far as I know, no pressure was present in that area, I tried to be very careful with that computer.
Also, do you have any idea how much can it cost to repair/replace this kind of stuff? I mean, approximately - I just would like to know what kind of money I have to bring with me in case they would not repair it for free.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also, do you have any idea how much can it cost to repair/replace this kind of stuff? I mean, approximately - I just would like to know what kind of money I have to bring with me in case they would not repair it for free.

You need to be aware of something: The London Apple stores are very busy, more so than the stores here in the US. We just had a member tell us that he could not get an appointment for a week. You may be better off using your local authorized repair service in Poland. As to how much it costs? That's hard to predict, but in US dollars probably over $500 to replace the screen.

OP
A
Reaction score
You need to be aware of something: The London Apple stores are very busy, more so than the stores here in the US. We just had a member tell us that he could not get an appointment for a week. You may be better off using your local authorized repair service in Poland. As to how much it costs? That's hard to predict, but in US dollars probably over $500 to replace the screen.

Unfortunately, most of Polish apple resellers have a tendency to blame the client in every situation in which any cost (that they may bear with) are involved. Having that in mind, I was planning to fix my problem in London. I've also read (on Polish forums) that customer service in apple stores is more focused on satisfaction of the client than the one you may encounter at resellers.
I have contacted apple through the chat - they said I can schedule an appointment at the genius bar through the website and then I can go there and talk with them. Do you think even if I schedule one I may have some problems with working things out?

edit: if London's apple stores are so busy, do you suggest visiting these (probably) which are "less popular" (I mean when I have a choice between "the bigger ones" in covent garden/regent street - that's London's strict city center - and probably the smaller one in westfield)? Or maybe it's better to visit bigger ones and wait longer (maybe only the big ones have service?)

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
edit: if London's apple stores are so busy, do you suggest visiting these (probably) which are "less popular" (I mean when I have a choice between "the bigger ones" in covent garden/regent street - that's London's strict city center - and probably the smaller one in westfield)? Or maybe it's better to visit bigger ones and wait longer (maybe only the big ones have service?)

Maybe one of our UK members can answer that for you. Here in the US depending on where you live, most Apple stores take "walk ins" on first come, first serve, with maybe an hour or two wait. There are exceptions like on a Saturday or a holiday when the stores are crowded and very busy. Only major repairs are sent out. Most minor repairs are usually done right there in the service section of the Apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.9 GHz 6-Core i9 MacOS 14.4.1; iPhone SE 3rd Gen iOS 17.4.1;
A neighbour has had good service from the London White City(Westfield) Apple store, usually without an appointment.
I have used the Regent Street branch in central London, and can’t recall that it was that difficult to get an appointment.
I should think that the available appointments depend on the time of day more than anything else.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to be aware of something: The London Apple stores are very busy, more so than the stores here in the US. We just had a member tell us that he could not get an appointment for a week.

Good one Charlie!;) I remember that as well now that you mentioned it. I actually logged into the UK Apple Store when the UK member mentioned this…and yes…all appointments were booked solid. It wasn't even possible to make an appointment of any sort. Not even far into the future (I guess the Apple appointment system will only go out so far date-wise).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Aminorex,

Its likely the screen could have been damaged during assembly. If they ask why you are returning it now, just be honest but short on your answers. Tell them you wasn't sure it was cracked at first, but you are sure it is now and this is the earliest you could bring it in. Stick to that, don't give ANY extra information and best of luck to you.

The more you talk about the crack, or how you "touched" it, the more information they could possibly use against your claim that it was broken from the factory. So be concise with your statement and stick to your guns.

OP
A
Reaction score
Aminorex,

Its likely the screen could have been damaged during assembly. If they ask why you are returning it now, just be honest but short on your answers. Tell them you wasn't sure it was cracked at first, but you are sure it is now and this is the earliest you could bring it in. Stick to that, don't give ANY extra information and best of luck to you.

The more you talk about the crack, or how you "touched" it, the more information they could possibly use against your claim that it was broken from the factory. So be concise with your statement and stick to your guns.

Thank you, this was actually very helpful, because I completely don't know how to behave in this kind of situation (fortunately it's the 1st time I've broken a macbook ;D ) and what to say to not make my situation even worse.
The only thing I'm afraid of is that they'll keep asking - as pigoo3 said, laptop screens don't crack spontaneously. It may have been damaged from the very beginning, but the fact is, there must have been some "human factor" that made it even worse - even if it was just me touching the screen in what I would call a normal manner. On the one hand, this definitely shouldn't make it crack if the computer was 100% functional (and that's what I would like them to understand), but on the other hand, the damage was somehow made by me and probabily they wouldnt believe that it came completely out of nowhere. Anyways, I'll try do convince them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Like I said, from the picture you posted. It doesn't look like you caused this IMHO. It could have had a hairline fracture that was missed by Q&A. You seem like a fairly honest person that just seems to "give to much information" when talking. This is why I recommend you to be concise with your statement and do not let them milk you for an answer they want to hear. Just tell them what I mentioned to you before. Don't talk to them any more then that, if they ask you anything, don't try to make up or give any more information. Just stand there and look stupid.

I am not trying to teach anyone how to get away with breaking their system, its just I have had to deal with people many times before that seem to always be out to prove everyone is else is at fault. Even though their paycheck is not effected by the outcome of their decision.

Just walk in their, tell them that the screen appears to be cracked. You think it was from the factory and you have did nothing to cause this and have only used it normally without any abuse.

If they ask you anything else, just stick to your statement and say "you don't know" or "no I didn't do anything to cause it"..

If it helps, go look at other hardware while they examine you system. That way they can't find a reason to not accept the warranty.

OP
A
Reaction score
I am not trying to teach anyone how to get away with breaking their system, its just I have had to deal with people many times before that seem to always be out to prove everyone is else is at fault. Even though their paycheck is not effected by the outcome of their decision.

Yeah, that's what happens most of the time in Polish apple services, and that's why I asked for help here in the first place. Thankfully, some of you guys have helped me and Im very grateful fot that.

Just stand there and look stupid.

Ok, that pretty much sums it up :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I'm a technician at a UK Apple Authorised Service Provider. If we or any other service provider inspected a MacBook Pro Retina display as in the photograph, we would have to refuse warranty service. If a customer has an explanation for the cracks other than physical damage it is not up to us to accept their explanation and cover under warranty, if the display is cracked or has black pressure marks we have to refuse warranty service. The same would go for any European AASP. If the customer disputes refusal of warranty service, we upload a picture showing the damage and the customers explanation to Apple TSPS. In all cases I have dealt with similar to this, TSPS have instructed us to refuse warranty support, only offering a chargeable repair. Your only chance, and I would think a slim one, would be to take it to an Apple store. Apple have more leeway in making their decisions than does an AASP. If you are visiting the UK I would advise you to book an Apple Store appointment in advance.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm a technician at a UK Apple Authorised Service Provider. If we or any other service provider inspected a MacBook Pro Retina display as in the photograph, we would have to refuse warranty service. If a customer has an explanation for the cracks other than physical damage it is not up to us to accept their explanation and cover under warranty, if the display is cracked or has black pressure marks we have to refuse warranty service. The same would go for any European AASP. If the customer disputes refusal of warranty service, we upload a picture showing the damage and the customers explanation to Apple TSPS. In all cases I have dealt with similar to this, TSPS have instructed us to refuse warranty support, only offering a chargeable repair. Your only chance, and I would think a slim one, would be to take it to an Apple store. Apple have more leeway in making their decisions than does an AASP. If you are visiting the UK I would advise you to book an Apple Store appointment in advance.

Well, thank you for your opinion, as a professional you probably know better than anyone else what can be done in my situation. My biggest worry is that they would say me exactly the same thing as you did because this surely don't look too good, and I perfectly understand that. On the other hand, I really hope that due to that "leeway" you mentioned, staff at London's apple store will be able to help me and I'll try to convince them. As a technician, is there anything you can advise mi to do to improve my chances?
Also, can you tell how much would my repair/replacement cost if they would refuse my warranty service?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't mean to be negative…but look at this situation logically. Applecare only covers manufacturing defects (not accidents).

Consider this situation. You're a repair technician at an Authorized Apple Authorized Repair Provider or an Apple Store. A person walks into the store with a MacBook Pro that has a cracked display. You know from:

- Experience that MacBook Pro displays don't just spontaneously crack.
- There have been no other reports of MacBook Pro's having spontaineoulsy cracking displays.
- You have no special authorization from Apple to repair these situations for free under Applecare.

Conclusion. You have to inform the customer that damage cannot be repaired for free via Applecare (it is not a manufacturing defect). But repairs can be made if the customer wishes (but will have to be paid for).

On the positive side…stranger things have happened (computers repaired for free). Sometimes you never know what Apple will do. But odds are (statistically)…a MacBook Pro with a cracked display probably has a low probability of being repaired for free.

This is not just a Poland thing…not just a UK thing (per techiesteve)…and it's not a United States thing. A cracked display on a MacBook Pro is not a manufacturing defect. Let's say for discussions sake it actually is a manufacturing defect. Because this is not a widespread thing (and no authorization from Apple)…a person is going to have a VERY difficult time convincing a repair technician that it is a manufacturing defect & should be repaired for free.

- Nick

Reaction score
I don't know what to add. Others said it well enough. It does look like a crack in the display panel to me. I completely believe you didn't damage your own computer. But could it be someone else not being careful? Hope people in the Apple Store will be helpful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.