Macbook pro retina (mid2014) - crushed screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 9,2; 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5; 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Thank you, this was actually very helpful, because I completely don't know how to behave in this kind of situation (fortunately it's the 1st time I've broken a macbook ;D ) and what to say to not make my situation even worse.
The only thing I'm afraid of is that they'll keep asking - as pigoo3 said, laptop screens don't crack spontaneously. It may have been damaged from the very beginning, but the fact is, there must have been some "human factor" that made it even worse - even if it was just me touching the screen in what I would call a normal manner. On the one hand, this definitely shouldn't make it crack if the computer was 100% functional (and that's what I would like them to understand), but on the other hand, the damage was somehow made by me and probabily they wouldnt believe that it came completely out of nowhere. Anyways, I'll try do convince them

Sorry to read of your misfortune. If all else fails, the information on these two websites may be of interest to you as alternatives:

My Mac's Screen Is Broken, Now What? - Tuts+ Computer Skills Tutorial

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4411858

Best wishes, Nate

Reaction score
If Apple insist that the cracked screen is not covered by their warranty you should then advise them that it is covered by the European Sale of Consumer Goods guarantee and insist on a replacement.
Sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees
In Ireland and the UK we have a Small Claims Court where it is possible to take a case against a seller for a fee of €25 - it proves very useful in cases like this. A letter to the original seller, clearly outlining the problem, detailing their refusal to repair or replace and stating that you will now take a case under the relevant legislation usually persuades them to replace faulty merchandise. Not sure if you have something similar in Poland but even quoting the legislation and threatening to take a case may persuade Apple to reconsider a refusal to repair under their warranty. Good luck!!

Reaction score
I have a feeling that opening the computer to inspect things…and the item that was touched that cracked…are going to be two things that may have voided the warranty.

I understand that you may have limited repair options in Poland…but it may have been better to not have opened up the computer. Since it is covered via Applecare for 12 months…the first thing to do would have been to visit Apple. Whenever you have a warranty as good as Applecare…let Apple do the inspecting.

I would say that you are better off visiting an Apple Store…but it is also possible that what was done already (opened the computer & cracked something)…may have voided the warranty (Applecare).

Good luck,

- Nick

I think he means "opening" the computer from sleep.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think he means "opening" the computer from sleep.

"Water under the bridge" my friend. OP already explained what they meant earlier in the thread!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
I have this same issue in the bottom left corner of my MBP 15in with retina. I googled the issue and there are many people that have the same problem and their computer, like mine, has never been dropped or mishandled. Is there any way to get apple to address this issue?

Hello everybody,

I've recently bought a brand new 15inch macbook pro with retina display from an authorized reseller (Cortland) here in Poland. I had no problems with it at all for about 4 months but then suddenly something terrible happened - part of my screen turned black (as a matter of fact it started with gray, but about 10 hours later turned black and so it remained) without a reason - at least I cant think of anything that may have caused the problem (I havent spilled any liquid on my computer or dropped it). The only strange thing I can think of is that from the very beginning when I was pressing the unibody case on the other side of the screen, everything was perfectly ok except of the lower-left corner. It was kinda "pulsating" even if I pressed very lightly, but I wasn't really paying attention to it since it wasn't affecting normal computer usage.
So, when a black strip on the left side of the screen appeared (out of nowhere, I just opened the computer and it was there) I wanted to check out what happened and I pressed (probably "touched" would be a better word here since I was very careful knowing that the screen reacts oddly in this area) and then it "cracked". I have no idea what happened, but now the screen looks like something inside is broken and I dont know what to do.
Macbook is of course still under warranty but we don't have any official apple stores here in Poland - only "authorized resellers" and "authorized services" who probably have to contact apple somwhere in Europe when they for ex. want to change the broken computer for a new model. Im a little bit worried that they will try to convince me that this is my fault and its mechanical failure so its not under warranty, and I really dont have money to pay for the replacement of whole screen. So my question is - what do I have to say in the service so they would take my macbook and repair it. I will be visiting London for 4 days in the near future so there is an option that I can go to apple store there and try my luck but will they manage to repair my laptop in that period of time? Is it better idea to go to apple store in London or to do something in Poland? I will be grateful for all suggestions and help

ps. here's the photo of how my screen looks right now: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6PiO3hWo5M8NWtpN09NNlRMMnRxYk5KVjBabEVjYWdGU19N/view?usp=sharing
ps2. sorry for my bad english

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Whitamos, we never did hear how aminorex got on, and if he ever did visit a UK ARS.

Only today I inspected a rMBP 13" with a crack in the bottom left corner and a row of shaky vertical coloured lines. The customer admitted knocking the MBP on the corner even though there was no damage to the clamshell exterior. There is no Apple known spontaneous cracking issue covered under warranty. If there is a crack, chip or dented clamshell warranty service is denied. If lines and no physical damage, warranty is honoured. The best protection against the cost of repairing damage or replacing after theft is insurance.

Re a previous post referencing a claim under European Consumer Law. Apple, ARS's and AASP's are aware of this. Whenever a repair is entered we are asked if a claim can be entered. To claim a copy of the receipt or invoice showing the resellers details should be supplied, a claim form has to be signed, the item being claimed shouldn't be a consumed consumable device, there should be no physical or liquid damage, and the claimant must be a consumer, not a business. A claim cannot be made for a damaged display.

You could pay to take Apple to court, but a claimant would be wasting everybody's time when physical damage is involved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.