Macbook Pro Retina always freezing up due to graphics error.

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro Retina 15" and it will continually freeze up and I'll have to restart it using the power button. When I log back in I'm told the computer had to restart due to a graphics error and when I check the console it will list a huge number of Kernel Panics, at least 20.

This happened before and I went to the Apple store, they told me it was a faulty graphics card and whenever my computer switched to the integrated graphics - because this only happened when opening Photoshop, or watching Netflix - and replaced my logic board. But now I'm having the same issue again.

I was able to visit the same Apple store again briefly and the guy was pretty unhelpful, telling me to take note of the programs that cause the computer to freeze up even though I told him exactly what they were.

I wasn't able to leave it with them for them to run some tests because I'm in college majoring in graphic design and need it every day. However, tomorrow I'm going back to the store and figured I'd turn to you guys to see if you could give me any helpful information I could relay to them to possibly help speed up the process of fixing my computer.

I'm just wondering what the chance of getting two faulty graphics cards/logic boards is or if it could be something else in my computer causing the graphics error?

Incase it helps, my specs are
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
Running Yosemite 10.10.1 (I know Yosemite isn't causing the problem because it happened before updating to Yosemite.)
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Thanks is advance, sorry about the long post! Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the matter.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm just wondering what the chance of getting two faulty graphics cards/logic boards is or if it could be something else in my computer causing the graphics error?

Very low chance. If Apple says it needs the logic board replaced…then the logic board needs to be replaced. I trust that your rMBP still has active Applecare.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Very low chance. If Apple says it needs the logic board replaced…then the logic board needs to be replaced. I trust that your rMBP still has active Applecare.

- Nick

It's just that Apple hasn't told me if I needed the logic board replaced, since there's such a low chance of getting two faulty logic boards they want to run some tests.

I was just curious if anyone had any idea of what else could be causing the graphics error if it isn't the logic board.

And thank god, I do have Apple Care.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...they told me it was a faulty graphics card...

This is the key statement from the first post. If Apple diagnosed the computer as having a faulty graphics card…BAMM…it needs a new logic board (plain & simple).

You didn't say if Apple offered to replace the logic board or not. And I know you mentioned that you needed your computer on a daily basis. But if this computer is going to get repaired…it needs to be given to Apple so they can do the work…regardless of the inconvenience.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.