MacBook Pro Repair or New Machine?

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming.:)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean?? If this organization prefers to repair the computer. Late 2011 13" MBP's did not have a retina display. So repair's with a retina display I do not think is possible.

- Nick

The organization might be fine with purchasing a new computer. I am currently looking at the 256GB Retina MacBook Pro. Would happily pay the difference too. :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The organization might be fine with purchasing a new computer.

Ok…that's a different story. Considering the repair costs…this is the route I probably would have gone as well.:)

Regarding the storage. If you're paying the difference. I would probably go with the 256gig vs. the 128.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok…that's a different story. Considering the repair costs…this is the route I probably would have gone as well.:)

Regarding the storage. If you're paying the difference. I would probably go with the 256gig vs. the 128.

- Nick

Thanks! It looks like the 256GB MBP has been purchased. It reminds me of when I had to decide between the 16GB or 32GB Motorola X. Opting for the lower amount on a phone is fine but for a computer... :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! It looks like the 256GB MBP has been purchased. It reminds me of when I had to decide between the 16GB or 32GB Motorola X. Opting for the lower amount on a phone is fine but for a computer... :)

When you take the "formatted capacity"…subtract from that the space that the OS & installed Apple apps take up…and then also subtract the 20gig or more that should be left free so that the computer can run most efficiently.

The actual storage capacity left for user installed apps, files, music, videos, etc…is certainly a good bit less than 128gig! This is why 256gig is a better idea.:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
When you take the "formatted capacity"…subtract from that the space that the OS & installed Apple apps take up…and then also subtract the 20gig or more that should be left free so that the computer can run most efficiently.

The actual storage capacity left for user installed apps, files, music, videos, etc…is certainly a good bit less than 128gig! This is why 256gig is a better idea.:)

- Nick

Exactly! For example, my 16GB phone only had something like 9 or 10GB when I first got it. I am not a big app person, all of my music is in the cloud, and I use Spotify so it is fine. Computers are a different story.

I do a good amount of website/programming work on it so it is important that I have further room to grow. Plus, when I found out that it is not upgradable I knew that the 256GB was the only way to go.

I know someone with a 128GB model and he seems to be fine with it. You have to think about the future though.

Thanks again!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly! For example, my 16GB phone only had something like 9 or 10GB when I first got it. I am not a big app person, all of my music is in the cloud, and I use Spotify so it is fine. Computers are a different story.

I do a good amount of website/programming work on it so it is important that I have further room to grow. Plus, when I found out that it is not upgradable I knew that the 256GB was the only way to go.

I know someone with a 128GB model and he seems to be fine with it. You have to think about the future though.

Sounds like you have a good handle on things.:) A fair number of users just download & install, download & install, download & install…and then one-day…BAMM…their HD, SSD, or flash storage is full. Storage space needs to be managed.

The other issue is. Officially the storage on many Apple computers is not upgradeable. If it was upgradable…then there would be no worries (just like in years past).:) So we're supposed to get these computers configured with all the storage it is ever going to need at the time of purchase.

Actually/thankfully there are some companies coming up with some storage upgrade products for some Apple models (but not all). But even then…there's still a cost (product cost & install cost).

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a good handle on things.:) A fair number of users just download & install, download & install, download & install…and then one-day…BAMM…their HD, SSD, or flash storage is full. Storage space needs to be managed.

The other issue is. Officially the storage on many Apple computers is not upgradeable. If it was upgradable…then there would be no worries (just like in years past).:) So we're supposed to get these computers configured with all the storage it is ever going to need at the time of purchase.

Actually/thankfully there are some companies coming up with some storage upgrade products for some Apple models (but not all). But even then…there's still a cost (product cost & install cost).

- Nick

I thought that the new ones were upgradable but I am glad I double-checked. I am usually pretty careful with how much space I use. I think that is because of what I have been limited to in the past. :D

My OCD will be at an all time high with this new computer. :D I will be scared to take it out of the house. Any suggestions on a snap-on case/keyboard cover? I had a Speck case in the past but I didn't care for it and ended up removing it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought that the new ones were upgradable but I am glad I double-checked. I am usually pretty careful with how much space I use. I think that is because of what I have been limited to in the past. :D

As far as I know. Any MBP with a retina display technically has non-upgradeable storage. And the newer it is the less upgradeable. Or at least the newer they are…there haven't been any storage upgrade solutions developed yet.

Any suggestions on a snap-on case/keyboard cover? I had a Speck case in the past but I didn't care for it and ended up removing it.

Nothing reasonably priced that's going to survive an auto accident!;) But seriously. We use (wife & I) hard-shell cases from Speck and iPearl (both products are mostly similar).

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
As far as I know. Any MBP with a retina display technically has non-upgradeable storage. And the newer it is the less upgradeable. Or at least the newer they are…there haven't been any storage upgrade solutions developed yet.

Nothing reasonably priced that's going to survive an auto accident!;) But seriously. We use (wife & I) hard-shell cases from Speck and iPearl (both products are mostly similar).

- Nick

I might go with another Speck because of the price. I am also planning on buying a keyboard cover as well.

I think the damage was somewhat minimal because I had it in a padded case.

OP
J
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be getting my new Mac today. Would it probably be worth just transferring the files over manually via the home network? I still haven't purchased an external hard drive but am planning on doing that very soon.

I also have a good amount of utilities installed that I use for web. Most are terminal-based. Would it be worth just starting from scratch?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.