MACBOOK PRO PROBLEMS

Reaction score
My pro is acting rather strangely, most of the time it runs very very slow and is unusable, switching of and on 4 or 5 times it suddenly works like lightning.
another problem is doing command and R does not go into utilities, it comes up with This is an internet recovery and asks me to select my network but my network is never in the list.

can anyone solve this mystery?

Bye the way ive tried several cleaners but no effect

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

What Mac? What version of macOS? What "cleaners" have you run (normally they make more trouble than they help, IMHO)? I presume by "command and R" you meant you tried to boot into recovery. Sounds like you held down the combination for Internet Recovery instead. Here is Apple's article on the various Recovery modes: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

On the problem, what is running when it slows down? What do you mean by "switching off?" Is it actually powering down and then rebooting, or the screen going black but coming back? What?

OP
J
Reaction score
it has Mojave
I used CleanmyMac
used command and R
its already slow at switching on

powering down and rebooting

Have tried the shift command and R
boots up as normal but now running fast , (could be coincident)

tried to upgrade to Catalina, it downoads it but when selecting drive tells me that this drive is not formatted as APFS ( its Mac OS Extended (journaled)
I have no means to format the drive (command and R not working)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
OK, thanks. Sounds like maybe a problem with the hard drive either being too full or dying. (You didn't say which Mac it is so I'm having to guess it has a spinner drive not an SSD. But it could also be an SSD that is too full as well.)

I would not upgrade until you get the slowdown sorted out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You say you've used "several" cleaners. Most of these "cleaners" cause more problems than they solve. This may be part of the problem, especially if you've had them on hand for a long time. What exactly do you have installed? You mentioned CleanMyMac, which isn't held in high regard by most here, though it's actually not horribad compared to many others (but most certainly NOT worth the price in any event). Also, any antivirus software installed? For the record, you generally don't NEED AV software, and again, most cause more problems than they solve.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you all for the reply but I think iv'e found a possible solution.
Last time I switched on it was running fast, every thing was running ok
So what I'm going to do is not switch off and just close the lid and see it works
I tested it for a few hours and it still had 99 % left
It hasn't solved the problem but it may be usable
Thanks All

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.