MAcBook Pro outputting power at charging port

Reaction score
I've got a Macbook Pro 15in Retina that is outputting about 11 volts from the charging port on the laptop. This is with the laptop switched off, and the power unplugged.
Any ideas about what would cause this? Anyway I could go about fixing it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that the first place to start is…What is the problem with the computer?

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Sorry Nick, I forgot to mention that.
The laptop itself is actually working fine, but we're using the laptop as part of a bigger setup, and having power come out of the charging port (discharging the battery) isn't ideal.
I've checked a couple of other laptops (same model) and they have a negligible 0.03 volts at the charging port (when unplugged).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The laptop itself is actually working fine, but we're using the laptop as part of a bigger setup, and having power come out of the charging port (discharging the battery) isn't ideal.
I've checked a couple of other laptops (same model) and they have a negligible 0.03 volts at the charging port (when unplugged).

This still doesn't explain what is wrong with this computer. You've explained how this computer is "different" from other laptops…but there still hasn't been any problem mentioned.

If this computer has no problems…how do you know that this voltage reading isn't normal for this computer. I also have no idea what other laptops this MacBook Pro is being compared with.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You did mention something about discharging the battery. Can you give more details regarding this?

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
The other two laptops that I checked were the same model as the laptop with the problem. They're all Macbook Pros, bought at the same time, and only one is outputting power at the charging port.
The laptop is discharging through the charging port. Instead of power going out of the charging cable and into the laptop, the power is going out of the laptop and into the charging cable.
Generally, I'd think the charging port on a laptop should be a one-way deal. Power should go in, but not out.

Also, thanks for the quick replies here :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The other two laptops that I checked were the same model as the laptop with the problem. They're all Macbook Pros, bought at the same time, and only one is outputting power at the charging port.

Great info. Good to know we are comparing "like with like".

Maybe you didn't see my other post…but:

- How is this effecting battery life (how many hours & minutes on a fully charged battery)?
- Also…what about the mag-safe charger light. What color is the light (green or orange when plugged in)?
- Does the battery actually charge when lugged in?
- Does the battery ever get to 100% charge?
- When you take the computers voltage reading…is it "awake" or "sleeping"?

* Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.