MacBook Pro no startup disk

Reaction score
Hello!
I have a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard with a flashing folder upon start up. I restarted in Repair and ran Verify Disk which appears to be ok. I also see disk0 and underneath Mac OS X Base System. Next I tried reinstalling the OS with Repair mode and get stuck when there is no destination to select. Finally I tried installing with a disk and it freezes at the Apple logo(for hours). Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
C

chas_m

So you're saying that Disk Utility from the Install Disk can see the drive, but when you try to install a fresh OS X on the hard drive, there's no option to do so?

Are you trying to install the same OS version (Snow Leopard) on it now, or a different one? From where did this installable OS disk (I'm assuming a disk)?

OP
U
Reaction score
So you're saying that Disk Utility from the Install Disk can see the drive, but when you try to install a fresh OS X on the hard drive, there's no option to do so?

Are you trying to install the same OS version (Snow Leopard) on it now, or a different one? From where did this installable OS disk (I'm assuming a disk)?

I'm a moron. I was trying to install Snow Leopard on a Mountain Lion Macbook.
In any case, in OS X Utilities I click Reinstall OS X then Continue, verified I'm eligible and Agree to terms. Now I have select disk where you want to install and it is blank. The logo above is there but no shiny hd to select. HELP.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

I'm a little confused: are you booted from the Recovery Partition, an external drive or disc, or the boot drive?

If the latter, you obviously cannot install an operating system on top of the booted system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.