Macbook Pro Mid-2014 Cracked Screen Advice

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just looking for some advice from people who are more clued up on repairs than I am. My macbook was dropped just before Christmas and the screen has been partially smashed, I've contacted my local repair shop who have said it'll be about £360 to replace. Although I expected it to be expensive I'm a little gutted to have to shell out so much just after Christmas and really I was just wondering if it would be cheaper for me to buy a screen online myself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) First, I hope the repair shop had tested the computer completely, i.e. other hardware may have been damaged and needs attention. Second, just to give you some idea on the steps needed for such a repair, check the iFixit Website - the link takes you to a display replacement for a MBPro mid-2014 - may not be your exact model, so if not look for the correct one on the site. Also notice the blue circled price for the parts needed - not cheap, but may be available from other sources less expensively - don't know (I'm not a computer repairer). Hopefully, others here w/ this experience will 'chime in' - good luck. Dave

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What you need is a complete display assembly...and these are not cheap. If this is a 15" model...then even more.

Yes...not a expense to look forward to so soon after Christmas. Too bad it was dropped.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.