MacBook Pro mid-2010 Internal Drive Not Recognized

Reaction score
I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro that had a hard drive that stopped working. I ordered (and made certain that it was compatible) a SSD. The SSD was only recognizable through Disk Utilities when it was connected externally via USB. I ordered a sata cable which did not repair the problem. Any clue as to what it may be? Logic Board?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I guess it could be the port on the logic board, but I would doubt it.

When it is connected internally, you will need to boot from another drive to format it using Disk Utility (DU). Do you have a bootable USB installer for Mac OS X/OS X, or the discs that came with your MBP?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, mommafox

I suspect that the SSD you ordered may not be compatible despite your assurances to the contrary. May I ask from where you purchased the SSD?

Crucial and OWC offer Mac specific SSDs and assorted cables etc; with accompanying videos.

No reason to believe the Logic Board is faulty if all was well till your HD failed.

My senior colleagues may have other suggestions.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
I booted into Disk Utility fine when it was connected internally. The disk doesn't show up. When I connected the drive externally and went to Disk Utility, the drive shows up.

I guess it could be the port on the logic board, but I would doubt it.

When it is connected internally, you will need to boot from another drive to format it using Disk Utility (DU). Do you have a bootable USB installer for Mac OS X/OS X, or the discs that came with your MBP?

OP
M
Reaction score
I ordered from OWC. I've had awesome experience with OWC and have ordered other drives and had success before. I actually worked with their Tech Department and that is why they "thought" it was the sata cable. I worked with them after I replaced both the SSD and the Sata.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
In DU, make sure you have the option under the View menu item, for "Show all devices" selected.

With the drive connected externally. format the drive from there. Then try it again internally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I would suggest working with OWC again. They are really good about getting things working on Macs. Or have you already tried that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I would suggest working with OWC again. They are really good about getting things working on Macs. Or have you already tried that?

+1!!

- Patrick
======

OP
M
Reaction score
I tried that as well. It shows externally, but not internally (even with a replaced SATA cable). Apple thought it was the logic board...However, if it's the logic board, would the USBs work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then it could be the SATA cable port on the board.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I replaced that as well?????????????

You replaced the SATA cable. He was talking about the Port or SATA controller chip on the board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The SATA cable adapter/port on the logic board?

Hmmm…??? Are we possibly getting jagged around and some leg pulling going on here???

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.