Macbook Pro makes connection on all computers drop out

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a wireless connection using a HomeAccess modem (router?), and it works fine on my new sony vaio PC. However, when my boyfriend turns on his macbook pro (2010 model), the wifi connection drops out on all computers (my PC, our iphones). His macbook still doesnt connect. I dont think it could be a broad apple problem though as we both have iphones which work fine, along with my PC until his macbook tries to connect to the wireless.

Does anyone have any solutions, or have had this weird problem?

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
Check the DHCP settings on the router the lease time and the amount of dhcp connection it can assign. This may be an environmental issue. I kind of had similar issues. I would drop wifi connection whenever someone used the microwave.

Can you re-connect with your pc after you try to connect with the mbp or do you have to restart you pc to reconnect?

OP
B
Reaction score
the DHCP is enabled on my sony vaio, but i don't know where to check the amount it can assign. The lease time is the 27th September.

when the mbp tries to connect and the internet drops on all computers, i have to turn the router off and back on after a few minutes to reconnect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try logging into your router with your sony and check the DHCP config there. If you can, try to make sure the mbp is up to date. It's like the mbp is sending out a deauth which forces a disconnect on all other devices to the wireless router.

Try this senario. Connect the mbp first to the router then try to connect with your sony with the mbp hopefully staying connected.

OP
B
Reaction score
how do i log into my router... ive tried but i cant seem to find out how! sorry for being so crappy with computers!

i tried that scenario and the mbp said it was connected but it wouldnt load anything. then i tried to put the sony's wireless on, & the mbp connection went off, and a message came up saying another computer was using the same ip address. it then kept saying a connection timeout occurred when I tried to reconnect the mbp.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What brand and model is that router/modem? Home access? Who is your internet provider?

Your very last Paragraph is for sure something with DHCP somewhere. I would think the router since you say both your iPhones and your Sony work. Like it's not assigning enough IP Address's.

Also on his Mac open System Preferences, Network and be sure DHCP is enabled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What brand and model is that router/modem? Home access? Who is your internet provider?

Definitely find this out, hopefully its a linksys/dlink/belkin/netgear. A neat little trick you can do on your sony is go to start -> run and type in cmd and press enter. A black box will come up, type in ipconfig and press enter. Look for default gateway, this will be your router IP address. Open up your internet browser (IE, firefox,chrome) and type that ip address in. You may be prompted on a username and password if so, knowing your brand and model use this site to find out its default user name and password. Then just start looking around for DHCP settings (possibly in LAN settings tab) and increase the max connections or dhcp leases.

OP
B
Reaction score
Well i'm living in currently in shanghai, china, which makes things more difficult. It appears to be a china telecom router called home access, with some chinese characters on it which i cant read. My internet provider is China Telecom.

i found the website and the password with that information. I can get on the website and translate some of it to english but not all. i cant see anything about DHCP info...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Can I have the URL to that site? I will see what I can pick up for you

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What you sent me in the PM is not a Web Site, but your routers configuration page! That is inside your router and not on the net. I will see what I can find about that router on the internet and your ISP.

Reaction score
HomeAccess router drop internet connection (ref Bianka21)

I am having today the same problem has Bianka21 had some mopnths ago : when i connect the macbook wirelss the connection of my otehr windows pc is interrupted.

I am also in shanghai and i have a Home Access router from China telecom for my internet connection.

Did you or someoine else found a solution to this problem ?

tks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.