MacBook Pro M1 Activation Lock

Reaction score
Hi guys.
my first post on here but unfortunately I have been scammed. I bought a MacBook Pro M1 from a seller. Handed over the money and 2hen I got home to set it up I was confronted with the Activation Lock Screen where it said that this MacBook was linked to an Apple ID and password. Unfortunately the seller is not replying to my requests for this info and has blocked me from getting in touch with her.
Is there anything that I can possibly do with respect to using the Macbook?
thanks
Graham

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Graham

I'm afraid you are in a dark space. Apple is very fussy about this and if the previous own has not, and/or will not remove their Apple ID from the Mac, then you are stuck.

An explanation is provided here:

If you went to an Apple Store and provided sufficient evidence that you had been cheated and that you were now the legitimate owner of the Mac, they might be disposed to bypass the Activation Lock - but your chances are slim.

I'm very sorry for your predicament.

Ian

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks Ian. Have you known anyone that has been successful giving evidence to an Apple Store?
I have got all the conversations on messenger and text messages from the seller that I could show at the Apple Store.
what do you think?
Graham

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
what do you think?
Hi Graham

Worth a try, surely? Apple just wants to be sure that your are, now, the bona fide owner. Good luck!

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Do you have any kind of receipt, cancelled check, etc. If so bring that with you as well.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Having a receipt from the seller is of little use unless the seller has proof of ownership and if she has blocked communication with you, well, it sounds a bit fishy.
You can check Stolen Register which is an international registry of lost and stolen devices. That may or may not confirm if the device was stolen or lost because it relies on reporting but if it is there, well, you can report it as a crime if not, that's good but not conclusive.

Personally I can't imagine why a legitimate seller would not give you the password unless they didn't know what it was. You can make your own deduction there. I think I would report it to the police or at least threaten to unless your money is returned.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've been purchasing used Apple computers for over 25 years (for my own use, my families use, and to add to my collection).

One of my very important rules is always (if reasonably possible) test the computer BEFORE handing over any sort of payment.

* If purchasing via eBay you can always return the computer if there is an issue.

* If buying locally (via Craigs List for example)...and it's a desktop computer...what I usually do is meet at the sellers home (and for safety)...always bring a 2nd person with a cellphone handy in case of emergency. But if things still seem "sketchy"/unsafe...then I skip it.

* If buying locally...and it's a portable computer...then I always meet at a coffee shop, McDonald's, or some other very public place (could even meet in front of the local Police Station).

Then I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS...test the portable computer before handing over payment..since it has a battery & doesn't need to be plugged in to test. I always reboot the computer to test if any passwords need to be entered...and I always check for any Apple ID, iCloud, or any other accounts that could make the computer non-useable to a new owner.

AND (if possible)...when I meet with the seller at a public place...I try to take a photo of the persons face...and a photo of their cars license plate. Many times this information is not needed...but always good too have in case there's an issue.

Here's a good "Buying a used Apple computer" link:

Here's Apple's info regarding what to do before selling an Apple computer:

Very sorry the OP experienced this issue. In the 25+ years I've been buying (and occasionally selling) used Apple computers...most transactions go smoothly...and most sellers are honest & legit.:)

But there will always be the 1% (or less) folks that will try to do something dishonest. Being as careful as possible when conducting any used computer transaction is your best defense!:(

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.