MacBook Pro logic board, heat issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
History of issues:
Trouble with heat when charging and not charging properly. Apple store sold me new charger.
Lots of rotating beach balls.
Have Lion decided to get Yosemite. Have only 4 g ram. Mid 2010, but purchased Nov. 2011. Asked at Apple store for more ram before updating. They told me to go to Simply Computers as Apple store doesn't instal same. Went to Simply Computers and they were to install additional ram (2 x 4) but reported that my logic board was failing and said not worth repair cost wise. Didn't install additional ram. It had kernel panic black screen at the store - first and only one.
Took MacBook Pro home to think about getting new computer (and save up $$) and it has been working fine since. (abut 2 months).
Used Onyx - seemed to help with rotating balls. Not much issue with that now.
Sometimes when it charges it gets hot and hot when watching movies.
Otherwise seems fine.

Questions:
I still want Yosemite. Should I go back to Simply Computers and try again to get more ram?
or?

This is my first Mac purchased new from Apple Store after getting very tired of MS nonsense. Fully Apple fan now.

Thanks for your suggestions.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
An awful lot of stuff mentioned here. Some of to seems solved…and some of it doesn't (but not 100% sure since there is so much mentioned in the post). Obviously if some of the stuff is solved…mentioning it isn't necessary.

Two things that stand out:

1. Being told the logic board is failing. I'm not sure what you were told exactly. Why it was "failing"…or what was "failing".
2. The heat issue.

As far as the heat:

- Yes it is normal for the computer to warm up when watching videos.
- Not having enough ram probably wouldn't cause heat problems. And adding ram probably isn't going to make it run cooler. At least not in a sense that you will notice a heat difference by touching the computer.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply. I put in lots of info because I don't know what's related or important.

The repair shop told me the logic board was failing and there was nothing that could be done but replace it and that would be cost prohibitive. They didn't say why it was failing only that when they put it on "the board" before installing more ram it showed that it was failing.

But as I mentioned, it's been fine since I got it back, except for the heat which I just might not have noticed before.

I just wondered it I should bring it back in and ask for more ram again? I am looking for informed opinions other than those of the repair shop.

I'm just a little old lady and don't know much about this stuff.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Diane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Are you dealing with a genuine Apple Store or a Reseller Diane? Absolutely amazed they would not install memory.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
She went to an authorized reseller Harry, "Simply Computers" in Vancouver.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The original Apple store, (I'm in Vancouver, Canada) told me they don't install ram and to take it to the authorized Apple repair place, Simply Computers. It was the repair place which told me they couldn't install the ram because of the failing logic board (which doesn't seem to have failed .... yet).

I just wanted Yosemite for the additional features with my iPhone. But I can survive without.

Diane

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Diane

What we're wondering is how "Simply Computers" determined that your logic board was failing? Unless they ran some kind of diagnostics on your machine, how would they know the logic board was failing? And why would they run diagnostics when all you wanted was memory installed? None of this makes much sense. Not your fault of course, but it appears something is amiss with "Simply Computers". You might want to avoid them in the future.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just wanted to add. A place diagnosing a logic board as "failing"…is a very tricky thing. Logic boards are typically working or not working.

Unless they(Simply Computers) have some VERY specialized hardware or software testing equipment…a "failing" logic board is hard to diagnose.

Of all the posts I can remember here on Mac-Forums (where the logic board was the issue)…AND the member took the computer to Apple for diagnosis. The result was "good logic board" or "bad logic board"…but usually not a "failing logic board" (which is sort of a "grey-area" thing).

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They ran a diagnostics test because I had been getting those slow down beach balls and asked for a "clean-up" or whatever their service called it as well as more ram. That's when they found the logic board failing issue. So they didn't install the ram.

They were recommended by the original Apple store and have been a local store for a long time. But I suppose anyone could make a mistake. I'll look around for another repair place - perhaps ask again at the Apple store for a recommendation.

Failed or not, that sounds interesting - not this sort of but not failing. That's the kind of information, from people who understand, that I am looking for. There may be help for my MacBook Pro yet.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If you mean Simply Computing as opposed to Simply Computers, Simply Computing has a very good reputation here, especial in their Victoria store, and I'd think the same would be for all their BC stores. http://simplycomputing.ca

Maybe they just used Apple's Diagnostic Hardware Test. It also came with a lot of Macs, either on the drive or on the old install disks.

But still available and current:
Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Good to learn about this. I'm trying the DHT now. I did the short test and got "no trouble found". So I've started the extended testing. It's supposed to take 1hour or longer so I'll just make dinner and let it run.

Diane
From my iPad

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Extended testing took 26 mins. and reported "no trouble found". So I don't know what to think.

I'm going away for Christmas but when I get back, I'll take it in to Simply Computing (you are correct with the name) and ask what's up and try to get more ram again.

Thanks for your help, all.

Diane

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.