MacBook Pro is malfunctioning...?

Reaction score
Recently, my MacBook has been having some issues. Whenever I try to switch users, the list of users won't display; you can only see he regular starry background that's always behind it. Normally if I just restart it by holding down the power button it's fine, but I have some documents that I hadn't saved and really don't wish to lose them. Does anyone know how to fix this without turning off the laptop, or if that's not possible, how to prevent this from occuring again? I am posting this from my iPod. Much thanks to anyone who can help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. You will get suggestions readily, but for us to be the most help we need to know more. OS? Tiger 10.4 or Leopard 10.5 or Snow Leopard 10.6..
What happens if u add a new User does it work OK in that one - what did u do just before the problems started happening. Are you on the latest OS?

OP
M
Reaction score
The OS is 10.6 Snow Leopard. When adding users and switching users it usually works, but sometimes it has this problem. It's been happening for a little while now, I never really paid much attention to it at first but now it's starting to become a nuiscance. I can't remember doing anything out of the ordinary that could have caused this problem, however.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Let's get this to the right place, as clearly it's not a comment or suggestion about the forum itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Before getting into chasing plist files, try downloading and installing this and report back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.