MacBook Pro HDMI Issue - Laptop Recognizes TV But Not Vice Versa

Reaction score
I have a 2012 MacBook Pro and have been running into issues getting the HDMI to work on my Samsung Smart TV. I have a thunderbolt to HDMI adaptor that's been working flawlessly, then one day it stopped. When I hook everything up, the laptop goes into the mirroring mode and under the displays, acknowledges that it is hooked up to a Samsung TV, yet the TV screen remains black and has a no signal message. Since the MacBook recognizes the TV, I'm inclined to think the cable isn't the issue, but could I be wrong? Any suggested fixes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Similar problems seem to due or traced to the adapters.

But it seems a bit odd that Samsung Smart TVs seemed to always have been mentioned. ;)

Reaction score
Samsung tv's have a issue in which if your tv doesn't display in 720p without a resolution of 1360x768 you get a blank screen of nothing. The reason for this is the tv displays best with clarity at this resolution with overscan turned on on the macbook.

I have a Samsung Tv Same issue it took me a while to figure it out also make sure that the HDMI Cable is a high speed Cable they are listed on there packaging as standard high speed and normal normal works for the average consumer but can cause HDCP handshake errors with netflix and the tv itself.

Standard: Is a Step up on the HDMI cable it goes from the cheap non gold plated connectors to gold plated ones.

Highspeed: Designed for Led And Smart Tv's and HDMI Lan Cables this is the overall best cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I was just on another forum where someone with a Samsung Smart TV was having trouble with the HDMI video coming from an HP Stream PC (HP's version of a Win8.1 "Mini"). Those of us with the same PC and other-branded HDTVs didn't see the same issues he did. I don't know if this is at all related, but it was an interesting coincidence.

It's curious that your setup worked okay and then stopped. Did anything else change, like an OS X upgrade or anything?

The very first thing I would try is a different HDMI cable, just to eliminate that as the problem. I once had an HDMI cable go bad after being plugged and unplugged a few dozen times. Also, is there another HDMI port you can try on the TV?

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.