MacBook Pro having issues. Looking for help. Thank you!

Reaction score
I have a mid 2014 MacBook Pro 15". First and only owner. Never any issues despite it being heavily used.

Recently its been having problems powering on. I would usually do a SMC to boot it up. been doing that for weeks now.

Just yesterday it has stopped booting up and appears to not be charging as the MagSafe remains red. Charged overnight, Still red.

When I attempt an SMC the power cable goes green for about 2 seconds then back to red.

I have tried smc pram and all the normal boots and nothing.

Can someone please point me in the right direction. I have tools to service the computer and willing to buy parts just don't know what to try.

Thank you for any responses!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...despite it being heavily used.

Recently its been having problems powering on.

Key statement here is "heavily used"...definitely depends what heavily used means.

As far as not powering on...please clarify?:

* Are we talking power on via the power buttom (cold boot)?
* Are we talking powering on from sleep?

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for showing me this tool! Unfortunately I can't use it on this MacBook as it is not powering on in any way shape or form.

- - - Updated - - -

Heavily used means it was my main machine for about 4 years. Ran constantly doing video edits and games. Traveled. Used at School. Turned into a desktop rig at times.

In terms of the powering on. It is cold. nothing is responding. Unable to get any motion noise or sound. Just a silver brick with a black screen. I don't know all the different boots and such so Im trying to describe the best I can.

OP
O
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

Have you checked battery health?

coconutBattery 3.9 - by coconut-flavour.com
Thanks for showing me this tool! Unfortunately I can't use it on this MacBook as it is not powering on in any way shape or form.

- - - Updated - - -

Key statement here is "heavily used"...definitely depends what heavily used means.

As far as not powering on...please clarify?:

* Are we talking power on via the power buttom (cold boot)?
* Are we talking powering on from sleep?

- Nick

Heavily used means it was my main machine for about 4 years. Ran constantly doing video edits and games. Traveled. Used at School. Turned into a desktop rig at times.

In terms of the powering on. It is cold. nothing is responding. Unable to get any motion noise or sound. Just a silver brick with a black screen. I don't know all the different boots and such so Im trying to describe the best I can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
It sounds to me like the battery is dead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Is it possible to try another charging lead as sometimes the fault with not charging lies there.

Reaction score
Even if the battery were dead, shouldn't Apple notebooks power on when connected to AC power (assuming everything else was ok)? Maybe something's changed, but I'm fairly certain my old white plastic Macbook would power on with the battery removed but still connected to AC power. I only have a MacBook Air now, but obviously the battery is not convenient to remove just to test this. But I suppose a faulty battery that's still installed could interfere with starting up even when connected to AC power.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
The battery may be drained and it is possible the charger is dead and not charging. I would suggest trying a different charger just to see if that is the issue.

Lisa

Here is a link to iFixit's repair guide for your manual.

MacBook Pro 15" Retina Display Mid 2014 Repair - iFixit

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
The Macbook Pro can be powered on via the battery or charger. Your battery could be COMPLETELY dead and it would still work fine if connected to the charger. However, the charging light indicator behavior shows there is an issue probably related to the computer not knowing how much power needs to be sent to power on the system. SMC chip is most likely the culprit since you stated you had to reset it before to temporarily fix the issue. That's not really an easy fix for a regular user.

Are you using the original Apple charger? It's known that aftermarket chargers are prone to causing damage to the SMC and voltage regulator.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.