macbook pro have problem with charging battery

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a problem with my macbook pro aluminium (mid 2009). When turn off the charger and plug it in again wont to charge battery. No green or orange light on the charger. I have a hundred times to remove and insert a connector into a port. Then spark and begins charging the battery. To note that I have a MagSafe charger with L connector 85W. Please for some advice???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I would suggest looking at the connector and cleaning the pins on it and also where is connects with a pencil eraser. If that does not help then if you could find and try another magsafe charger to see if it worked. That would tell you the charger is bad. If that did not work then the next thing to look at would be the DC-in connector/board. Here is an example of one:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo....53+GHz+Mid+2009+DC-In+Board+Replacement/1539

Without more specifics I can not provide more exact information.

Lisa

OP
T
Reaction score
I tried to Clean contacts on the charger and laptop. It did not help. I tried my charger on another MacBook and doing well. I tried to change on my MacBook dc connector and it happens the same like with the old. How I can do a smc reset? My battery is 100% full and will not do smc reset. Can I discarge battery on let say 90%?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can try resetting the SMC more than once but I don't think that is the issue. If another known good charger will not light and charge the MB Pro then I would go back to my other suggestion - the DC-in connector/board has a problem and may need replacing. See my previous link.

Lisa

OP
T
Reaction score
I replaced DC-in connector/board,it happens the same as with my old DC-in connector/board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So different magsafe charger and new DC-in connector and it still sparks and takes several tries to get it to charge. You have reset the SMC - or tried to. Hum... are there any apple stores close by? If so make an appointment at the Genius bar. They will diagnose for free. Other than that I am out of suggestions.

Lisa

OP
T
Reaction score
no i didnt try different magsafe on my macbook. i am tried my magsafe charger on my friend macbook, and my charger work well on that laptop. im changed other used dc in connector...and still spark and takes several tries to get it charge, same like my old. i dont have apple store or genius close by me. Serbia is small county, and we have only one apple store in whole coutry. I can try to bay some used magsafe (65W) on the internet and try to charge my macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might also check the battery cycle count. Click on the apple in the upper left corner -> select "about this mac" -> system report button -> power -> scroll down to cycle count.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201585

Your battery is rated for 1000 cycles. Not sure if this could even be related though.

Lisa

OP
T
Reaction score
My battery have a 285 cycles.Here is a copy from my system report
Battery Information

Model Information:
Serial Number: W02344WYYD3LC
Manufacturer: SMP
Device Name: bq20z451
Pack Lot Code: 0
PCB Lot Code: 0
Firmware Version: 201
Hardware Revision: 000a
Cell Revision: 165
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 4703
Fully Charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4756
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 285
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 12425

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 15
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 3
Wake on AC Change: No
Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake on LAN: Yes
Current Power Source: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Hibernate Mode: 3
PrioritizeNetworkReachabilityOverSleep: 0
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2
Wake on AC Change: No
Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Hibernate Mode: 3
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
ID: 0x0100
Wattage (W): 85
Revision: 0x0000
Family: 0x00ba
Serial Number: 0x00ce52aa
Charging: No

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Same answer as you received in Macrumors forum. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.