Macbook Pro Electrocuted?

Reaction score
Hey, I had recently purchased a new 2015 macbook pro this past Wednesday. When I was using it today, the charger that was included had a rip in it (that I hadn't noticed). I plugged in my laptop and quickly realized that there was a spark in the middle of the cable from the exposed wire. I tried to remove the cable from my laptop but couldn't reach it in time and the laptop shut off. I tried to turn on my laptop for several minutes but it wouldn't turn on. I waited a little bit and tried again and now it's working fine (thankfully!).

My question is, has anyone else had this happen to them with the chargers Apple includes? I just got my laptop last Wednesday, and even though I barely used my laptop, the charger already ripped. Will I have to purchase a new one or do chargers have a warranty?

Also, even though my laptop works fine, do you think this incident could have potentially damaged my laptop? I'd hate to think anything could be wrong with it knowing I just purchased it. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If it were me, I would pack it's cute little laptop booty back in it's box and return it. If it has been hit by any stray voltage you have no idea what potential damage there is.

I tend to be very honest so I would tell them what happened and that the charger came with the rip but you did not catch it until sparks flew. But I would definitely want a new unit.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Lisa. You're within the two week return period anyway so the return should be without problems. But like Lisa advised, tell the Apple Store folks what happened.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice guys! I went to the apple store an hour ago and had the laptop replaced with no issues. The man there was really nice and told me that it's better just to get a new laptop then try to find out if there is a problem with the laptop. He also said that the charger might've been defective when they shipped it to me since Apple chargers aren't supposed to rip like that after light use.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's why we love Apple customer service. Enjoy your new MacBook Pro and visit us often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.