MacBook Pro - disk0s2 I/O error

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

My early 2009 MacBook Pro (10.5 Leopard) will not boot and turns off after 3 or 4 minutes. I've tried a few of the start up commands but (I'm not tech savvy) nothing has improved. The error seems to be -

'Invalid node structure (4,253) **The volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completely. **/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8**/dev/rdisk0s2
**Root file system
Executing fsck_hfs (version diskdev_cmds-491.6~3).

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks in Advance!

(I tried booting up with OSX 10.5 disc, to no avail)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
If the 10.5 disk is the one supplied with your MBP it should boot it unless you have a more serious problem. It's possible you have a hard drive or cable fault. Sometimes either can still cause problems even when booted from a DVD or external HD. Disconnect the HD flex cable from the logic board and try booting from your DVD again. When you attempted booting from the DVD exactly what symptoms did you get?

C

chas_m

Your boot drive directory is hosed. Usually the sign of either a drop or a failing HD. Disk Warrior could probably fix that but it's not worth the $100 if the drive is actually failing. I'd have a tech remove the drive and put it in an external case, and replace the boot drive. Then restore from your backup (which of course you have) or see if the old boot drive can mount or be repaired enough to restore your stuff.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the correspondence!

I don't have the original software discs that came with the Macbook, but the same 10.5 Leopard software that I borrowed from a friend, I understand this may be a problem. Would you still recommend disconnecting the HD cables from the logic board and trying to boot with the disc, or simply replace the HD and try to restore data later?

Thanks for your time and advice!

OP
R
Reaction score
If I replace the HD, will I be able to boot up the Macbook as normal, or will I have to restore software?

Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.