macbook pro dead

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a serious problem. a couple of weeks ago my mbp osx snow leopard got stuck and i restarted my mbp. after booting it got stuck in a white screen and a floder icon with a question mark displayed with a continuous clicking sound. I did some research and found out that my hdd was not working. I recently bought a 500GB WD hard drive and installed it on my mbp. When i inserted my OSX Leopard that originally came with the mbp it doesn't boot up and still displays a folder with question mark. i tried pressing the c button while booting but nothing happens. I also tried pressing the option key while booting up still no response.
How do i install the OSX on my new hard drive? Please help !!!!!:(

Reaction score
Did you "press" the c button or did you hold it? You have to hold it for a few seconds as you are turning the computer on; then it should boot into OS X setup.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Did you "press" the c button or did you hold it? You have to hold it for a few seconds as you are turning the computer on; then it should boot into OS X setup.

Yep - need to hold it, not just press it. Use the option key and hold it down until it brings you to the boot menu. Then select the OS X disc.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yep - need to hold it, not just press it. Use the option key and hold it down until it brings you to the boot menu. Then select the OS X disc.

YES I HELD IT !!!!from the time i pressed the power button i kept holding down the "c" button and after awhile it ejects the dvd and the same folder with question mark shows up.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Check the surface of the OSX DVD. Any Fingerprints or smudges?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
After you make sure the disc is clean - power down and unplug it. Grab a can of air, insert the straw into the slot of the drive and shoot 3-4 quick blasts in different directions.

And try the option key - I've seen reports of the "C" key not working - although it should.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.