Macbook Pro Damaged Temp Sensor?

Reaction score
Ok so i had a bit of a fiasco with my mid 2012 13 inch macbook pro, long story short water spilled and got in the bottom of the machine while it sat in the car, When i saw it i got as much water out as possible got home, disassembled EVERYTHING, there was some corrosion so i cleaned it off with rubbing alcohol and let it dry for 2 days, when i reassembled it and turned it on it worked like nothing happened, after doing some work for 2 hours i turned it off and went to sleep. Woke up the next morning tried to turn it on and nothing a black screen, so take it apart check everything again and reassemble, this time it boots but I noticed it was very very slow. Then when it finally reached the desktop it was so god-forsakenly slow it took me literally 5 minutes to open activity monitor when it did open it reported that 85% of the cpu was being used by the system. So i then installed os x on an external flash drive and booted, still very slow but not quite as slow as when i booted from the hard drive. when i opened activity monitor same thing 79% of the cpu was being used by the system, After that I ran apple diagnostics which revealed the issue is evidently a damaged temperature sensor, so basically can anyone please tell me a possible solution I'm out of ideas
-Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
After that I ran apple diagnostics which revealed the issue is evidently a damaged temperature sensor, so basically can anyone please tell me a possible solution I'm out of ideas
-Thanks

I did a quick check…and there doesn't seem to be a separate temperature sensor part that can be replaced. So the temp sensor is probably integrated into the logic board…which means a replacement logic board is probably what is needed to fix things. This is very typical with liquid spills…the logic board needs to be replaced.

A replacement logic board is going to cost $499-$699 (generally not a price most folks want to pay). Plus the cost of install if you cannot do this yourself:

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody 2.5GHz Core i5 Logic Board

Of course…maybe you can get lucky & find something less expensive on eBay.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Yeah thanks for researching that, Ive been working on this laptop for nearly 2 months but Ive had little luck, my guess is that because the temperate sensor is damaged it can no longer determine the CPU temp so it slows the processor as to avoid overheating and then bumps the fan to its max RPM, i can control the fan speed but the CPU speed is probably controlled by the efi. I was thinking about replacing the mag safe board and the palm rest connector as they are apparently a possible issue as well, Again thanks for you're help

OP
A
Reaction score
Another thing that was strange is it worked perfectly after the first disassemble and clean up but then after one night all the sudden broke temp sensor??

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm with the same problem than you!

Do you already fix it?

Sadly no, its not very clear where the temperature sensor is actually located, i was told on the trackpad cable but i replaced the trackpad and the cable to no avail, after awhile i just got sick of it and ended up buying an hp probook with a 4th gen i5off amazon for 400 bucks that i was able to hackintosh. A new logic board would have been at least 550 bucks just not worth it, if youve got the money u can replace the logic board but other than that i found no solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.