Macbook Pro beeping on start up

Reaction score
As the title says i have a mid 2010 13" macbook pro that was perfectly fine up until a month ago. I turned it one and it went to a gray screen and had a continuous faint beeping. I know this is a sing that the RAM could be bad, but i was wondering what else it could be. I have tried taking each ram out and seeing if only one was bad and even swapping them into each port but none of that worked. I even swapped out the RAM from another macbook pro of the same year and that didnt work either. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know this is a sing that the RAM could be bad, but i was wondering what else it could be. I have tried taking each ram out and seeing if only one was bad and even swapping them into each port but none of that worked. I even swapped out the RAM from another macbook pro of the same year and that didnt work either.

First. If after all of this ram testing nothing worked…then the initial conclusion that the beeping was a sign that the ram was bad was probably not correct.;)

Second. There are actually a number of different "beeping sequences" that indicate different problems. I believe a repeated sequence of 3-beeps indicates a ram problem. What we need to know is…what beeping sequence are you hearing? Listen carefully…how many beeps before the sequence is repeated?

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
I guess i worded all of that pretty poorly... Its not any of the usual beeping sequences that i could find. Its a constant beep about 1 second apart. it sounds like it is coming from the hard drive. Even with the RAM out it would keep doing it as a background beep behind the normal 3 loud beeps for no RAM. The sequence doesnt end it is just constant. I just put that hard drive into another macbook pro and the same thing happened so i may have solved my own problem. I'll be getting another hard drive and see if that fixes it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just put that hard drive into another macbook pro and the same thing happened so i may have solved my own problem. I'll be getting another hard drive and see if that fixes it.

Usually bad hard drives don't involve any sort of beeping. But if a new HD solves the issue...you may have run into a very unusual bad HD symptom..."beeping".

Please let us know how things turn out.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.