Macbook pro and gaming. Need help

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if the community here could help me out with one decision. I need to decide whether to upgrade my current macbook pro or buy a new one, but since I am not a tech guy nor big on gamingwise important PC components I am asking for your help.

Currently I have: Macbook Pro 13" (Mid-2010)
What am I using it for: Regular school work, amateur short movie clip editing and for me most importantly gaming - that is only WoW and LoL.
Problem: In both games I have 30 fps on average on low graphic settings. Plus, I cannot have any other apps turned on - I find it very frustrating now, as it is getting worse and worse.
What do I want:
1. Stick to OS X. I know it is truly not the smartest choice if I care about playing games on it the most. But I got used to it and I love it.
2. Around 70 FPS on High settings. That is in WoW and LoL.
3. 15" mb.

Variant A: Upgrade my current macbook, get a SSD disc and better RAM. However, would that increase my fps at all?

Variant B: Get a new macbook pro, specifically macbook pro retina 15", the basic one. As I can get it without VAT in my country. Meaning it would cost around 2,200 dollars.

Any suggestions? I really only plan to play WoW and LoL. No battlefield 3 or any other high-gaming games. I do not want Windows (well, at the moment, I know it would be cheaper). I am asking about the efficiency of the newest mb pros in those 2 games.

Any suggestions and recommendations are very much appreciated.
Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Variant A: Upgrade my current macbook, get a SSD disc and better RAM. However, would that increase my fps at all?

Variant B: Get a new macbook pro, specifically macbook pro retina 15", the basic one. As I can get it without VAT in my country. Meaning it would cost around 2,200 dollars.

Forget about variant A as all that will do is speed things up, but not increase your FPS. Frames per second speed depends mostly on your graphics hardware which in your current machine is fixed and can not be updated.

Buying a new MacBook Pro with the best graphics, SSD, and memory you can afford would be the way to go. However, that can be expensive. Keep in mind that all new retina MacBook Pro machines are shipped with a fixed amount of memory than can not be upgraded after purchase. Nor can the graphics be upgraded.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,

Yeah, I figured that as well now.

As I said the biggest candidate is the newest macbook pro 15" retina, the cheaper version. However, few people on different forums told me that on the retina display I would have to run the games on lower resolution, since they cannot do that high, which would make the game´s graphics fuzzy and potentially unbearable.

Can any of you guys tell me how "true" is that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It depends on the game. Some of the newer games for the Mac have been enhanced to run on the higher resolution retina screens. However, there's little to no chance at all that game developers of older games are going to update their code to run on a retina machine. in effect you would be limited to the newer games that were developed for the retina.

I know you've heard this before.... but if you're a dedicated gamer, you would be better off investing your dollars on a Dell Alienware machine that is specifically designed to game. Just my opinion for whatever it's worth. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.