Macbook Pro 2016 Battery Status X - Bottlenecked - SIP - SpeedStep

Reaction score
Hi all,

I purchased my Macbook Pro in summer 2016, around 12 months ago there was drink spilled, I left the Macbook off for around a week and the machine works with a rather large caveat, that being the machine must be connected to a power supply constantly. The moment the cable leaves the macbook, the machine turns off.

The battery status indicator over the past 12 months has shown a percentage, this has been slowly working its way down and now, 12 months later the status icon now shows an "x".

Now here's the issue, as annoying as the power cable issue was/is, it never affected performance. Now the machine is showing an "x" - the performance is almost unusable. Here's the kicker however, the more programs I open up, the faster the machine gets!

NOTES:

1. I simply cannot afford to take into the Apple store and fix at this moment in time.
2. I've tried a new install on the computer and the performance is the same.
3. I've booted into safe mode to disable SIP /SpeedStep...? I've heard that with certain hardware faults the OS itself can bottleneck some stuff for safety reasons.

I'd really appreciate any advice here guys, the issue is starting to affect my work.

Thanks in advance,

Grant

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I purchased my Macbook Pro in summer 2016, around 12 months ago there was drink spilled, I left the Macbook off for around a week...

Can you go into more detail on this timing? I understand that liquid was spilled on it 12 months ago. But was the week that the MacBook Pro was off...was that 12 months ago or recently (hard to tell the way it is written).

Sounds like the power cable/battery issue started 12 months ago (when the spill happened).

The bottom line here is this. Liquid spills can be very unpredictable. Somtimes they "kill" the computer immediately...and sometimes thing creep up on you over time. It's possible you need a new battery...possible you need to replace an I/O board...possible you need to replace the logic board...possible you need to replace a combination of these things.

Here's a 27 page thread on liquid spills It's not pretty:

http://www.mac-forums.com/apple-notebooks/271875-official-spilled-liquid-macbook-thread.html

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Apologies, thank you for the reply.

So the spill happened 12 months ago, then I let the computer alone for a week before touching anything. After that week 12 months ago, the computer worked, of course that being caveated by the battery issue mentioned.

The issue did indeed start 12 months ago and I am aware of the bottom line. However, when the laptop worked a week after the spill, there was a percentage for the battery status, the normal desktop top bar. This gradually came down to 0%, then the day after I got the aforementioned "x". This decline however was predictable, there was no sudden drops.

So have Apple actually engineered a way to tell me how long my damaged has left? Or have they built some sort of system that bottle necks the system for safety/insurance reasons? I believe it's the latter really, like I said, the more I throw at the machine, the faster it becomes.

Also like I said however, disabling speedstep/SIP does not work. Anyone out there who can help? I'd ideally like to avoid going to Apple store and being told to pay £500 on a logic board etc... The machine worked fine with the power cord two weeks ago.

M

MacInWin

So have Apple actually engineered a way to tell me how long my damaged has left? Or have they built some sort of system that bottle necks the system for safety/insurance reasons? I believe it's the latter really, like I said, the more I throw at the machine, the faster it becomes.
Did Apple engineer something? No, they did not. You spilt liquid on it, it now has a sword of Damocles hanging over it that could drop at any moment. Liquids and electronics do not mix well, as has been said before. And again, no, Apple hasn't throttled or bottle necked the system. But the liquid may well have damaged some component on the logic board that is causing the issue with the power source. And power issues can affect the performance of the system. Liquid damaged electronics become very erratic, even if you think it wasn't damaged at first.

Bottom line, the machine has been fatally wounded and although you've nursed it along, it is dying. Save your pennies for a new one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.