Macbook Pro 2013 Still going strong need to upgrade

Gus1983

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro 2013 (2.6GHz Dual Core Intel Core i5, 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 and Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB Graphics card) It is still going strong with no slow downs. I dont want to upgrade just because its now outdated as it still performs what I require of it. What is happening now is that I cant update the OS or even download any new apps from the Apple Store. Is there any alternate solution to this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What is happening now is that I cant update the OS or even download any new apps from the Apple Store. Is there any alternate solution to this?

What Mac OS X version are you currently running on your 2013 MacBook Pro, and yes you should have various other options available to you depending on what you want or possibly need to do regarding various updates or upgrades.

And welcome to mac-forums.

PS: just a personal preference, and also as I have an older 2011 iMac, I tend to and prefer to run an older Mac operating system, and currently use OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan version, but preferred the previous OS X 10.9.8 Mavericks version for some Apple software features that Apple removed from later versions. A minor annoyance, but they were features that I did use often.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have the same machine and I run macOS Ventura on it using OpenCore Legacy Patcher

@macsbug

Interesting macsbug, how do you find it, and does everything run well when using it???

Just curious.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Hi Patrick,

You can download it at Releases · dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher Select the OpenCore-Patcher-GUI.app.zip on the bottom of the page.

I have not had any issues with it other than after you initially do the install your Mac may be slow and the resolution is really fine until you run the post install patch.

Also if you upgrade the OS, you will need to redownload the latest version and again run the post install patch.

I have a friend that has a 12" 2017 Macbook with Ventura installed, and the 2013 MacBook Pro boots up faster and runs software smoother than his MacBook.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Hi Patrick,

Also if you upgrade the OS, you will need to redownload the latest version and again run the post install patch.

I have a friend that has a 12" 2017 Macbook with Ventura installed, and the 2013 MacBook Pro boots up faster and runs software smoother than his MacBook.
I've run that patcher on a 2008 or 2009 MacBook that's on Monterey. I know that's pushing it but I mainly wanted to see if it ran at all. It's slow but it works.

You're right that you usually have to update the patcher after an OS update. Fortunately it's a quick update.

For anyone contemplating this update here's a bit of advice:
1. Read the information on their site and see if there are issues with machines similar to yours before you attempt the installation.
2. Make a backup before you start the update process.
3. Pay attention to the directions. The process isn't complicated but it's easy to make a mistake if you're not paying attention.

Reaction score
For anyone contemplating this update here's a bit of advice:
1. Read the information on their site and see if there are issues with machines similar to yours before you attempt the installation.
2. Make a backup before you start the update process.
3. Pay attention to the directions. The process isn't complicated but it's easy to make a mistake if you're not paying attention.
4. If after an update if your Mac won't boot, startup in Safe Mode and then download the newest version run the Post Install Patch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.