macbook pro 2011 15 nightmare

Reaction score
had the gfx chip in my MBP replaced but last week but it's been a nightmare since - crashing and general oddness.
before the gfx died I don't recall it ever crashing.
it's got to the point now where it won't even load an OS using internet recovery - it crashes to a black screen with thin vertical blue lines a little way into the process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xe3lXMLq_o
I'm taking it back today but I noticed there's a screw missing that seems to hold the main board down - could this be the issue?
macscrew.jpg

OP
D
Reaction score
Who carried out the repair?

There was a replacement/repair program available through Apple forn this model, but this concluded on 31 December last.

https://www.apple.com/au/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

thanks - I realise apple were fixing it for free last year - pretty gutted to be honest that it didn't die before this year.

the guy fixing it is in Romford Uk - "Mind the Mac" - http://www.mindthemac.co.uk/
this is the second time he's tried to fix it - both times it's lasted less than 24 hours before issues occur.
he says he's replaced the GPU (not reballed the old one) - cost me £200 - think i'm going to ask for a refund as I have no confidence in the repair anymore and it's an hours drive from where I live

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
he says he's replaced the GPU (not reballed the old one) - cost me £200 - think i'm going to ask for a refund as I have no confidence in the repair anymore and it's an hours drive from where I live

I would love to speak with this repair person. The GPU on a 2011 15" MacBook Pro is NOT a separate part that can be easily removed & replaced. It's a surface mounted/soldered component...and really VERY difficult to remove without damaging items around it (stuff is just packed in too tightly). And even if it could be removed...then there's the sourcing of the part (not simple).

If it was this easy to repair failed GPU's in various models with failed GPU's...all of us DIY folks would be doing it!:)

And of course if this repair/replacement was done correctly...it would certainly last far longer than 24hrs!!!

- Nick

p.s. Please ask this repair person to join Mac-Forums...and explain how he's able to replace the GPU!:)

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks
I realise this is component level stuff. It's not some bloke working out of his bedroom - they say they do a lot of these GPU replacements and there are a few companies that offer this service. E.g:
https://youtu.be/xRwfJpNvWI0
I took it back to the shop and he disconnected the battery and booted off a USB drive and it seemed to work fine without the issues I was experiencing. Wondering if my SSD has issues but he's lent me a MacBook and is going to try to get to the bottom of why it's not working. He says they do quite a few every month and they usually work out fine. I do get a good vibe off the guy . We will see what happens some time next week I guess! Here's hoping.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not some bloke working out of his bedroom - they say they do a lot of these GPU replacements and there are a few companies that offer this service.

I do get a good vibe off the guy . We will see what happens some time next week I guess! Here's hoping.

Sorry my friend...but I really can't agree.;) This shop has had the chance to "fix" your MacBook Pro 2x already and each time the repair lasted less than 24hrs (per what you posted above). Why would you let them try & fix it a 3rd time & possibily have the same results?...unless of course they offer to do it for free.

Of course what happens if they botch something else up...and now the computer has two or more issues...making it less valuable as a parts computer for sale.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
You might be right but he's not charging anymore than the original fee and there's a year's warranty on the fix. Like I said there's something odd hapenening as when not on battery and not on the internal hdd the MacBook seems fine. I think he'll give me a refund if he can't get it working.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If he gives you a refund...and doesn't damage anything additional in the process...then that would seem fair.

Good luck with the 3rd attempt.;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.