Macbook Pro 2010 GPU Kernel Panic Explanation!

Reaction score
Hi guys

This thread will be about the Kernel Panics in 2010 Macbook pro models with GT330m.
A little story about myself: I am coming from a PC and Electronic Engineering background, and hopped in to Macbooks as a hobby.
I bought a 2010 Macbook Pro with GT330m and I saw these Kernel Panics.Tried to look online for some solution, but all I have received were 'bring it to Apple or buy a new one' and this is not an answer about actually what is happening.
I tried to stress the laptop with 3D video game, no problem at all. But i found some errors popping up at random browsing.

So i have done some work. Whenever you have these errors you will see the report, GPU panics and so on.
But there is a really important line :
P2/4\n"@/SourceCache/AppleGraphicsControl/AppleGraphicsControl-3.7.21/src/Apple MuxControl/kext/GPUPanic.cpp:127
it has tons of useless information but one thing caught my eyes: Apple MuxControl
What is a Mux? Mux is a device called MUltipleXer, and it is there to switch between 2 signals and it is used by Apple to switch between the graphics cards
So now we know that the Graphics cards have no problems, it is not a GPU problem, but a problem that affects the GPU, as the problem relies in the switching process

But what causes the problem?
I have downloaded Firefox, because it is a solid browser to test on. What I found that the Macbook restarts at Googles Chrome site in Safari, so I tried the same on Firefox.
This time around I got way more information. The browser was shut down and complaining about OpenGL
That would make sense, as OpenGL is used to make animations and Chromes site is starting with an animation
I was checking some other websites with OpenGL animation but it was crashed randomly with the OpenGL error.

So I am at the conclusion now. The problem lies in the software side, as the switching code cannot handle several OpenGL code or version stable enough so the switching process is not perfect, hence the computer getting confused.
Can it be fixes by hardware or software means? I am not sure yet, I will need to do some research!

UPDATE:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Apple-MacBook-Pro-17-inch-2010-04-Notebook.32424.0.html
As mentioned at around the middle of the post, the error lies at the switching but they reckon it is because of the Intel OpenGL drivers

C

chas_m

It sounds to me as though you have bought one of the MacBooks that are known to have GPU issues. Take it to an Apple Store, they may fix it for free IF the warranty extension program for this issue is still in force.

If it isn't, then you'll have to pay to have it fixed, or get a new(er) one.

OP
N
Reaction score
It sounds to me as though you have bought one of the MacBooks that are known to have GPU issues. Take it to an Apple Store, they may fix it for free IF the warranty extension program for this issue is still in force.

If it isn't, then you'll have to pay to have it fixed, or get a new(er) one.
hi
I wrote this thread as there is a general lack of information regarding the hardware of Macbooks and as mentioned in my second sentence I want proper answers about what is causing it or how it can be used.
This thread will be a research by me making sure I will find the root of the problem.
no, the gpu itself works well, as mentioned above, but the software side as whereas there is an OpenGL video running in some cases the software gets confused. although it might be the down to the fact that GT330M can support up to OpenGL 2.3 and the website uses OpenGL 4.3, but there should be backwards compatibility.

I am going to fix it myself as I have the knowledge, experience, tools and most importantly the willing to do it.
I do not ask help to fix my problem, but if you are willing to contribute regarding my research, that would be great, as it might be a multiplexer timing issue, and the hardware surrounding the MUX is still a mystery for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.9 GHz 6-Core i9 MacOS 14.4.1; iPhone SE 3rd Gen iOS 17.4.1;
This seems to be a very useful project, more so if some other technically-orientated people could add to the findings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.