MacBook power lead disaster

Reaction score
Apple have lost their marbles dropping one of their best design features - the magnetic power lead. I don't intend dropping another laptop in a power cord trip. So no magnetic link means no MacBook.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't think so, ol' Jony Ive and his boys were thinking of replacement sales when those MBs hit that hard floor, but I'll bet the Oriental manufacturers have already got a breakaway connector possibly already in production to make their own profit and keep some users happy!! ;)

Wanna maka bet?? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You or someone tripped over the lead and it is Apple's fault? If my car has a bump in a car park, do I blame Ford?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
Apple have lost their marbles dropping one of their best design features - the magnetic power lead. I don't intend dropping another laptop in a power cord trip. So no magnetic link means no MacBook.

But it's not just a power cord, it's the whole input system on the new Macbook, so (accidentally) flipping it out during use could have dire consequences to the work you're doing at the time?.
I see what you're saying, though. I always liked the Magsafe feature, but it was never a major influencing factor in buying Apple, or not - just a bonus.

You or someone tripped over the lead and it is Apple's fault? If my car has a bump in a car park, do I blame Ford?

Why in a car park?
Nah, I'm just kidding, I see your point. But, let us not forget that it was Apple who introduced us to the fact that an accidental trip over a power cord needn't mean the trashing of a £1000 machine.

Other (non Apple) uses of this type of connection have been used on equipment such as deep-fat-fryers, to avoid drastic consequences of accidental snagging of the cord. Genius!

But, yes, I will miss the Magsafe. Even my Apple-hating friends had to admit that it was a great idea.

Regards, CB

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Harry, are you suggesting the Mag Safe was a bad idea and did not solve a problem many have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Harry, are you suggesting the Mag Safe was a bad idea and did not solve a problem many have?

I think he's just trying to figure out or ask whether he should blame Apple or Ford when someone trips over their laptop cable and lands on and puts a dent in his Ford. ;)

Actually he should have known better and should not have bought a Ford in the first place, knowing very well that they dent easily from any sort of bump. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.