Macbook not charging

Reaction score
I have a Macbook 2008 white

The battery wont charge or even show up on it

I have plugged the charger in and it fires up okay

The battery is there, but it isnt showing up and its not charging

I have 2 brand new batteries and its the same with both of them

It just shows an X on the battery icon

I have been told that Macbooks are notoriuos for not charging or showing the battery

I have tried restarting it several times

Can anyone help me PLEASE

It has OS X Lion 10.7.5, it is a 2008 model and I dont have any discs for it, all the OS were installed on it when I got it

If I cant get this Macbook to see and start from the battery I wont be taking it with me on my trip on Tuesday

Airport security will want me to start it up to prove its working and not an IED

I have tried everything I can find on the internet

Shut down

Remove the battery, remove the charger/power cable

Then press the start button for 5 seconds, then reconnect the power cable, insert battery, turn on

There is still a black cross in the battery icon and it just dont work on battery power alone

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
On a MacBook that old (2008) there could be several things that are defective preventing your MacBook from running off battery. The MagSafe Adapter Charger might not be working right, or the charging circuitry (DC input board) could be bad. It may even be a logic board defect.

Without detailed trouble shooting and exchanging of parts, it's probably best to leave your MacBook at home and not take it with you or security may confiscate it at the airport. When you return home, post back and we'll try to help further with getting it running off battery again.

OP
D
Reaction score
It was working fine until I left it charging overnight

Turned it on, there was the black X on the battery

all the lights are working on the charger

I have tried an alternative charger, same thing, even tried a car charger

I have tried charging both batteries, same thing X on the battery icon

When I bought it, it was a refurbished one (not really sure what they do when they refurbish a laptop)

I have a Macbook Pro I will be taking that instead, there is only an inch or so difference with it

Reaction score
What type of batteries are you using? Are they Original Apple Made or Aftermarket (off-brand) batteries from third party sellers like ebay or amazon?

I've definitely had experience with these after-market batteries and having them cause a variety of issues with compatibility and affecting the logic board in a negative manner.

Also have you checked system information under Hardware --> Power, and then checking for the condition of your batteries in that manner?

Hope this helps, good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by a moderator:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.