macbook "not charging"

Reaction score
I got new macbook about three weeks ago, and I'm loving it accept for the troubling message I get each time I plug in the charger. Probably two days after I got it I had an issue where I couldn't seem to get the computer to accept the plug. I wiggled it around, blew away whatever dust was there, etc. Kept getting the "not charging" message in the battery-life indicator. Finally, hours later, I don't know why, it began working again.

Ever since then, though, every time I plug it in, I very briefly (a second or two) get the "not charging" message. Then it either goes away or I adjust the cord ever so slightly and everything's fine.

I'm just wondering if this is normal or a sign of trouble down the road. The computer has tech support for 90 days, so if this is an indication of something faulty, I figure I should get it checked out now. I've read other posts from people whose computers really aren't charging for one reason or another, but I'm not sure if my computer's hesitation is a problem or the norm.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Procrastination is not your friend. Run, don't walk to the nearest phone and call Apple. It's not like they are going to give you a slap for wasting their time. At least, not a real slap.

Just don't talk to Donna, she seems a little dodgy on the battery/charging end of things.

OP
A
Reaction score
Before calling I just wanted to see if people have had experience with this. If Apple tells me "oh it's normal, don't worry about it," I wanted to know if that's true. Maybe they're honester eggs than others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Mid 2012
i have the same problem bro. When i plug in, battery icon says 'not charging' then starts to charge after 2-3 seconds. I do not know why. This problem,however,started after snow leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.