MacBook MacBook Pro Or MacBook Air?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
(You don't know which one to get for your son who is 11 years old.)

Probably neither. A macbook Air is built for the ultra-portable business kind of people, and is priced accordingly. Your son would mostly use it around the house, so it isn't worth paying a premium for a laptop with lower specs and less functionality.

A macbook pro is made for intensive users ( people who video edit frequently, or who run many apps simultaneously). I doubt your eleven year old son would need that much power in his first laptop. Again, it wouldn't be worth paying a premium for higher specs that would not be used.

Luckily, there is a beautiful middle ground called the macbook. A 13" or even the low end 15" would be perfect for what he would use it for (mainly internet, I'm guessing?). And they are reasonably priced for the specs that you get with it.

Enjoy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I agree. 13" macbook would fit the needs of an 11 year old perfectly, and he should have no complaints about functionality. He's luckier than my kid. I'll be ****ed if I'm giving him an $1000 computer...he can have my hand-me-downs. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I agree with blackmac. My first Mac was an '07 Macbook, and I loved it. I've since upgraded to an MBP, but a Macbook, especially the new ones, will give him plenty of functionality and room to improve his Mac-fu without a super high pricetag.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok thanks, ill get it for him for his birthday.which website is the best? (craiglist,ebay, or apple store?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
ok thanks, ill get it for him for his birthday.which website is the best? (craiglist,ebay, or apple store?)

If you can go the Apple store for things like that IMO.
That way you get all the support, and a proper warranty. Even check out the Refurb Store too @  as they are like new and get the same benefits as if you bought one brand new off them :)

TM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD
refurb on Apple.com or walking into your local apple store is the best way to get a back

whether you want new or refurb.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i don't know which to get for my son which is 11 years old. any suggestions

Might I suggest a used iBook (if you have to go with a Mac) or a an older IBM Thinkpad (which tend to be very sturdy)? An 11 year old is going to destroy that machine. Best not to spend too much money on it - and for his needs, a machine of modest means is completely appropriate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Edit:
Deleted post as spammer I was warning against has now been removed :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.