MacBook keyboard slow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
I have noticed recently especially after the latest update... whether that has anything to do with this at all.... that responses to keyboard is slower.
when I enter my login password.... I must type slow and methodically, else shows error. I must press the keys bit more firmly than I ever used to.
I tend to type quite quickly and used to be able to just type quickly and gain access no problem.

I do not eat or drink near my Mac so there is no danger of anything being spilled on it. I keep it pretty dust free both screen and keyboard area.

has anyone else had this issue?

also I noticed that my shortcuts on desktop to word especially take some time to load and again when typing my password for some docs... must be slow and careful with typing.
this is so frustrating!!

Reaction score
Is the battery condition and status normal? A failing or needing replacement battery will cause a MacBook to run sluggish and slow.

Reaction score
I have noticed recently especially after the latest update... ...

also I noticed that my shortcuts on desktop to word especially take some time to load and again when typing my password for some docs...

It's normal to see this for a day or two after upgrading your Mac to a new major version of the Mac OS. It's not normal for it to continue many days after you upgrade. Typically the problem is either that something went wrong during the upgrade, or that there is software running continuously in the background that isn't fully compatible with the OS that you just upgraded to.

The first thing to try would be booting in to Safe Mode and seeing if the problem is still there.

If the problem does not exist while booted into Safe Mode, then the culpret is most likely software that is running in the background, such as a logon item or something that works deep in the system such as Dropbox or anti-virus software.

If the problem still exists while booted into Safe Mode, reinstalling the Mac OS, preferably doing a clean install rather than an install in place, is likely to fix things.

See:

Item #6

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the battery condition and status normal? A failing or needing replacement battery will cause a MacBook to run sluggish and slow.
not sure of battery condition and status is normal! will have to lookup to see how to check that. I just cant imagine that battery is failing as my MacBook is not that old and I use power adapter most times when I use it.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's normal to see this for a day or two after upgrading your Mac to a new major version of the Mac OS. It's not normal for it to continue many days after you upgrade. Typically the problem is either that something went wrong during the upgrade, or that there is software running continuously in the background that isn't fully compatible with the OS that you just upgraded to.

just to make myself sure that we are talking about the same thing.
since I upgraded from Sierra to Mojave Dec 2019 there was not an issue.

this issue has been going on for several months now... since I did an update to Mojave.
Tho always find it confusing that with each update that the version numbers dont change. so I never know which version I have.

are we talking about same thing-- upgrade vs update??

The first thing to try would be booting in to Safe Mode and seeing if the problem is still there.

If the problem does not exist while booted into Safe Mode, then the culpret is most likely software that is running in the background, such as a logon item or something that works deep in the system such as Dropbox or anti-virus software.

I did run first aid in disk utility and tested login items. I have only 1... WD drive utility helper. did not delete this. cant see where that would cause an issue!

While I've heard about running in 'safe mode' have never done so. dont know what to expect! im not too techy and dont want to run into an issue this Sunday am.

I await your reply. tho slow responding keyboard and slow access to desktop shortcuts is not a HUGE issue... just annoying. want to make sure it is not beginnings of something bigger.

If the problem still exists while booted into Safe Mode, reinstalling the Mac OS, preferably doing a clean install rather than an install in place, is likely to fix things.

See:

Item #6

See:

Item #6

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Randy, I tried to go back into my reply to edit.. but changes have been made and that is not available any longer.

I have read about keyboard (butterfly) issues and that I can check/clean my keyboard...since that is one of my issues. that may solve one problem. many times when entering pw.... I get errors, yet I know I have entered the correct one. slow and firm pressing of keys...then it is accepted.

tho need to purchase a good air compressor for that. anyone can comment of ones to stay away from.
am always Leery about what I use to clean my Mac!!

Reaction score
Okay, if the battery shows as Normal, then that is more than likely not the issue. Seeing as you have stated it is a butterfly keyboard model, then this could be the issue. They do have problems with that key design and issues with dust and debris getting trapped underneath (look into if yours can be replaced still through Apple). For the cost of a compressor, I would try a can of spray air, unless you want to really add a compressor to your tool inventory!

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, if the battery shows as Normal, then that is more than likely not the issue. Seeing as you have stated it is a butterfly keyboard model, then this could be the issue. They do have problems with that key design and issues with dust and debris getting trapped underneath (look into if yours can be replaced still through Apple). For the cost of a compressor, I would try a can of spray air, unless you want to really add a compressor to your tool inventory!
thnx... that wuld be my next step. i need to read up on a good one to get!

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just wo der tho cuz i read ... MacBook Pro models from 2016 and later with Touch Bar and Touch ID: Clean the Touch Bar and Touch ID (power button) on these computers the same way you would clean the display. Shut down your Mac and unplug the power adapter. Dampen a soft, lint-free cloth with water only, then use it to clean the Touch Bar and Touch ID.

Reaction score
I wouldn't use water. Use some isopropyl alcohol and a micro-fiber towel. Would only take a simple spray or dab onto a towel and one or two easy wipes to clean the top surface of the Topcase/Keyboard. But if it's actual dust or some other debris (hair, lint, etc.) under the key caps then you would need some compressed air to blow that out from under, if you feel that's the cause or if it appears dirty. I've seen and cleaned my fair share of filthy keyboards from dirt and grime to food substances. Plenty of the older white Unibody MacBooks that would go from black - gray - brown...... back to gleaming white! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.