Macbook help: I can't control brightness/volume with F keys anymore.

Reaction score
I'm using a Windows XP pro OS on my Macbook.

Up until recently I was able to control the brightness and volume using the F1-F5 keys. Now all of a sudden, those buttons do completely different things.

F1 now opens some help window.
F2 renames files and folders.
F3 opens the search window.
F4 opens address bars.
F5 refreshes windows.
I never use F6 and up.

I tried using the fn key, but that doesn't work either.

Another thing I tried was going to the Boot Camp Control Panel in the computer's Control Panel. I selected the keyboard tab and checked/unchecked the "use the F1-F12 keys" option. But that didn't work either.

I want to be able to control the brightness/volume using those F keys. What should I do? Can someone please help?

OP
F
Reaction score
I'm using a Windows XP pro OS on my Macbook.

Up until recently I was able to control the brightness and volume using the F1-F5 keys. Now all of a sudden, those buttons do completely different things.

F1 now opens some help window.
F2 renames files and folders.
F3 opens the search window.
F4 opens address bars.
F5 refreshes windows.
I never use F6 and up.

I tried using the fn key, but that doesn't work either.

Another thing I tried was going to the Boot Camp Control Panel in the computer's Control Panel. I selected the keyboard tab and checked/unchecked the "use the F1-F12 keys" option. But that didn't work either.

I want to be able to control the brightness/volume using those F keys. What should I do? Can someone please help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you installed any updates to Windows - like SP3? Or, have you updated Boot Camp to the 2.1 version? Make sure you have the Windows keyboard functions set correctly not just the Boot Camp control panel keyboard settings.

If all else fails, try re-installing the keyboard driver for Windows from your Leopard disk.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You already posted this same question in another forum and it was answered. Please refer to that thread.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Merged cross-posted threads.

OP
F
Reaction score
Sorry about the cross post. You see, when I posted the first time, my notebook froze and I had to close the internet, so I thought that my question failed to get posted. And then when I came back to the forum, I decided to post in this section of the forum instead.

Have you installed any updates to Windows - like SP3? Or, have you updated Boot Camp to the 2.1 version? Make sure you have the Windows keyboard functions set correctly not just the Boot Camp control panel keyboard settings.

If all else fails, try re-installing the keyboard driver for Windows from your Leopard disk.

Thanks for the advice, but I still need help. This all happened yesterday. One moment, the F keys were working just fine, but then just moments later, this problem started. I didn't update my Windows or anything. I didn't even turn off my notebook.

So how can I check which version of boot camp I have?

I don't know what SP3 or Leopard disk are.

And I would like to try and set the Windows keyboard functions like you said, but how do I do that?

I'm sorry if I'm becoming a handfull. I'm definitely no expert with computers. Thanks a lot for trying to help me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
Thanks for the advice, but I still need help. This all happened yesterday. One moment, the F keys were working just fine, but then just moments later, this problem started. I didn't update my Windows or anything. I didn't even turn off my notebook.

So how can I check which version of boot camp I have?

I don't know what SP3 or Leopard disk are.

The Leopard disk is referring to your Mac OS install disc. You would've needed this initially to install your bootcamp drivers so that your windows install can properly (or close to properly) utilize your mac's hardware. The Snow leopard disk has the Bootcamp 3 drivers on it, which have caused some issues with the F-keys and some other things (like the headphone jack), but bootcamp 3 is the most recent update. I'm also having issues properly installing the new bootcamp 3 drivers.

SP3 refers to 'Service Pack 3' - Microsoft's final update package (I think) for Windows XP. If you have automatic updating activated (which is default for most Windows installs) than your computer probably updated on its own since you haven't shutdown your computer (which you should do when you don't use it to give your HD a break) recently. However, usually microsoft updates don't apply until restart, so... I dunno.

To check which SP you have installed, just right click on 'My Computer' and click properties.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.