Macbook freezing up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M380 204
Just recently i have had my Macbook 13in freexing/locking up on me. I have an App called Istats that show all my nearly memory is in use.
Just now it done it again but i rebooted my system which took about 10 mins, the only thing i was using was Google Chrome ( i am now on Fire fox.

Is there an app that will tell me what is using my memory specifically.

I have reinstalled my OS and put my apps back on. It has been running well till about half an hour ago.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just recently i have had my Macbook 13in freexing/locking up on me. I have an App called Istats that show all my nearly memory is in use.

When you say "memory" are you talking RAM or storage space? RAM = memory...storage space is a computers SSD or HD.

If you're talking internal storage space...yes a computer will lock up when the storage device gets full. Best thing to do is off-load unnecessary stuff...and never-ever let it get full.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Tell us about your 13" MBP? Model year? Ram installed?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M380 204
It is ram memory, hard disk space is ok.
I think i have found it, i was trying an app called CleanApp, as i finished my msg here it just froze up. I looked into Activity Monitor and it showed that CleanApp was using 3.5GB of my 4GB of ram. Well it's gone now so hopefully my problem is fixed.
I have been looking at upgrading the ram as it appears i can do this on my model, but i will have the back off just to check it is possible

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 18.43.00.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

If you are really concerned, I would suggest you do some research and use Google to find out how mac OS X uses memory, And you didn't mention what OS X Version you are using. It can change how memory get used.

Just because an application is using all or most of your memory may not necessarily be a bad thing. You may want to consider that it is a good thing that most or all of it is being utilized and making use of what memory you do have installed. Or you may have a problem. :Smirk:

I have been looking at upgrading the ram as it appears i can do this on my model, but i will have the back off just to check it is possible
Check out the TRUE upgrade options (not Apple's) for your Mac model at:
Mac Specs, Prices, Answers and Comparison: EveryMac.com, Est. 1996

- Patrick
======

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are really concerned, I would suggest you do some research and use Google to find out how mac OS X uses memory, And you didn't mention what OS X Version you are using. It can change how memory get used.

Just because an application is using all or most of your memory may not necessarily be a bad thing. You may want to consider that it is a good thing that most or all of it is being utilized and making use of what memory you do have installed. Or you may have a problem. :Smirk:

Check out the TRUE upgrade options (not Apple's) for your Mac model at:
Mac Specs, Prices, Answers and Comparison: EveryMac.com, Est. 1996

- Patrick
======

There is a link to a png file showing thedetails from about my Mac.
Thanks for the link as well, will go have a look.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is ram memory, hard disk space is ok.

Ok good deal. Wanted to make sure we were talking about RAM & not storage space.:)

As far as the locking up/freezing. It could be possible it's RAM related...but I doubt it. Usually if RAM is maxed out...the computer is designed to swap things in & out of RAM as needed. This can slow things down a bit...but usually does not cause locking up or freezing. The locking up/freezing is much more likely a software conflict of some sort (conflict between 2 apps or a conflict between an app and the macOS).

Also as member pm-r mentioned...the macOS is designed to manage RAM properly...even if if may look like all RAM is being used. What you really want to keep an eye on is "Memory Pressure" in the Activity Monitor App.

Memory Pressure is represented in a graph...and can be displayed as Green (good), Yellow (ok), Red (not great). Here's an example:

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 8.53.45 AM.png

HTH,

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok good deal. Wanted to make sure we were talking about RAM & not storage space.:)

As far as the locking up/freezing. It could be possible it's RAM related...but I doubt it. Usually if RAM is maxed out...the computer is designed to swap things in & out of RAM as needed. This can slow things down a bit...but usually does not cause locking up or freezing. The locking up/freezing is much more likely a software conflict of some sort (conflict between 2 apps or a conflict between an app and the macOS).

Also as member pm-r mentioned...the macOS is designed to manage RAM properly...even if if may look like all RAM is being used. What you really want to keep an eye on is "Memory Pressure" in the Activity Monitor App.

Memory Pressure is represented in a graph...and can be displayed as Green (good), Yellow (ok), Red (not great). Here's an example:

View attachment 31225

HTH,

- Nick

Yes i know about (but not truly understand)about info being swapped in and out, as in the swapfile in windows (sorry for using that word lol). The freezing would take about 3 or 4 mins between mouse clicks. When i removed the app CleanApp it all stopped and behaved normally.
I think it may have updated itself and it was not suitable for my version of OS and this caused a conflict.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Most "cleaner" type apps are useless for macOS. macOS runs utilities over night, or when the Mac is on, but not in use.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The freezing would take about 3 or 4 mins between mouse clicks. When i removed the app CleanApp it all stopped and behaved normally.

Ahh...this is a totally different sort of "freezing/locking up" than I was assuming. Usually when these terms are used it means the computer was in a "state of mind" requiring a reboot.

What you describe sounds like the apps you had open were using all available CPU/GPU resources...and not allowing anything else to be done (you may have seen a blue or multi-colored spinning "beachball" as well). This is not too surprising given the computers age (2010) and RAM (4gig).

Also...sometimes if it's been a long long time since the computer was rebooted...rebooting can clear things out & help the computer run better as well.

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update

I have been using my mac today and it behaved itself, no problems. I left it for a while and it timed out and asked for my password again, as normal.
When i put my password in it started ok but promptly went in to what i termed freezing with the spinning blue ball. I stayed with this till i could get Activity Monitor up and running. This showed that CleanApp Daemon was running and using 95% of the ram memory.
The app i had removed to the bin as i have already said, and it's still there. How can i find this CleanApp Daemon on the drive, as just putting the app into the bin has left behind somewhere bit i don't know where. I have set Finder to show ALL files but that does not help.
I will visit the app site and see what is there but if any one can tell me how to find this file would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sometimes the apps install helpers, that start the app automatically when you log in to the PC. Look in SystemPreferences > Users & Groups, then look under Login Items, to see if there is a helper file installed for that app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How can i find this CleanApp Daemon on the drive,

I would try using Find Any File.app and at least try searching on the "cleanout" name, And maybe even the developers name. Download FAF from here:
Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File

- Patrick
======

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have looked online and there is quite a lot on this app, it lists different areas in preferences to look in. I have done this and found that the cleanappdaemon is still there.I will reboot and see what happen.
If all else fails i will reinstall the OS from the hidden folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have done this and found the file but i can delete it and i can't find a path to it.

I assume you mean you cannot Delete it :Smirk:

If you use Find Any File.app to find the file, it will show you various ways to access the file including showing the full path.

If you hold down the option key when using FAF, it will give you root privilege access that should allow you to delete the file.

Find Any File (FAF)

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just wanted to mention that the app "EasyFind" does the same thing, is free, and in my opinion does a better job at finding things than Find Any File.

EasyFind on the Mac App Store

The above URL will take you to the Mac App Store.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I assume you mean you cannot Delete it :Smirk:

If you use Find Any File.app to find the file, it will show you various ways to access the file including showing the full path.

If you hold down the option key when using FAF, it will give you root privilege access that should allow you to delete the file.

Find Any File (FAF)

- Patrick
======

:: A typo there lol.

Wish i had seen this before. I have since wiped the OS and reinstalled the OS, all ok now. When i had PC's running windows i did this quite a lot lol, the mac far better.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wish i had seen this before. I have since wiped the OS and reinstalled the OS, all ok now. When i had PC's running windows i did this quite a lot lol, the mac far better.

This is one of the positives of using an Apple computer. The need for doing a "nuke & pave" is not needed nearly as often. And as I'm sure you've experienced...reinstalling the macOS is MUCH less of a hassle...and takes a lot less time!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.