MacBook freezes when I try render videos on Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere

Reaction score
My 2015 MacBook freezes when I try to render videos on final cut pro. When I try to export videos on adobe premiere, the program unexpectedly closes each time. I tried restarted my macbook several times and even reseting the SMC. I tried to run these program a different user account on my macbook but my macbook froze while setting up the account. My macbook is running the latest OS with the latest updates. It works perfectly for the most part of only use regular programs like chrome and whatsapp desktop version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum!

I know you said you are using the "latest" but exactly what version of the OS are you running? Exactly which Mac do you have? (You can get that information from the  logo and About This Mac.) How big is the hard drive and how much space is left on it? How much memory do you have in the Mac? What do you do to get out of the freeze? We are going to need a lot more information to get your problem sorted out.

OP
S
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

I know you said you are using the "latest" but exactly what version of the OS are you running? Exactly which Mac do you have? (You can get that information from the  logo and About This Mac.) How big is the hard drive and how much space is left on it? How much memory do you have in the Mac? What do you do to get out of the freeze? We are going to need a lot more information to get your problem sorted out.

Hey Jake, I'm using MacOS Mojave version 10.14.5. I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch, mid-2015). 16 Gigs Ram, 51.5 Gigs of SSD space left. I force quit to get out of the freeze most of the time; if it freezes the whole computer and not just program then I hold the power button down to shut the computer down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the information. Is the only application that freezes the system the Adobe Premier? Have you tried reinstalling it? When you say "freeze" do you mean nothing works (no mouse movement, no changes on the screen, no trackpad, no sounds)? How big is the SSD? If it's the 1TB, 51Gb free is pretty tight and may be causing the "freeze" as Adobe is a bit of a hog for memory and may be using a lot of scratch space on the SSD to hold the work in progress. Do you have any "helper" software running (antivirus, cleaner, third party utilities, etc)? How long have you waited for the freeze to end? Could it be that it is not actually frozen but just very busy?

You can try opening Activity Monitor before you do something that causes the freeze and watch it as the task runs to see if the system is actually running, just overloaded and not responding normally. If you have dual monitors, you can move Activity Monitor to where it is visible all the time and watch what is happening.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Is the only application that freezes the system the Adobe Premier? Have you tried reinstalling it? When you say "freeze" do you mean nothing works (no mouse movement, no changes on the screen, no trackpad, no sounds)? How big is the SSD? If it's the 1TB, 51Gb free is pretty tight and may be causing the "freeze" as Adobe is a bit of a hog for memory and may be using a lot of scratch space on the SSD to hold the work in progress. Do you have any "helper" software running (antivirus, cleaner, third party utilities, etc)? How long have you waited for the freeze to end? Could it be that it is not actually frozen but just very busy?

You can try opening Activity Monitor before you do something that causes the freeze and watch it as the task runs to see if the system is actually running, just overloaded and not responding normally. If you have dual monitors, you can move Activity Monitor to where it is visible all the time and watch what is happening.

My MacBook is 4 years, it worked close to perfectly over the past years, it only just recently started having the issues I mentioned above. I haven't done anything different recently. It freezes when I try to render video on final cut pro and it stops working. Adobe Premiere stops working and closes when I try to export videos.

To answer your questions final cut pro freezing: I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. When it freezes half the time nothing works and the other half of time I'm able to use force quit. Lately I've been waiting 5-10 minutes to shut my computer down if it's full frozen from final cut pro; if I can force quite then 30secs - 1 minute. I usually monitor my MacBook using activity monitor, so I can say it's not from it being busy.

My SSD is 250.8 GB. I don't use dual monitors. I've been AVG anti virus for years.

My MacBook only started freezing when a program has to do a task the requires heavy lifting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini. July 2012
Sounds like it’s running out of RAM/Drive Space.
Premier is a real memory hog too, both RAM and storage.
Have you run Onyx Maintenance. Just defaults. See if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Get rid of AVG. There aren't any viruses for Macs, so it's not doing anything useful for you. About all it will/can find will be stuff in emails from infected Windows machines that cannot run on your Mac. Getting rid of it will free up storage on the drive as well as maybe some CPU if you have it installed as resident.

How much memory do you have in the Mac? (BTW, it's a MacBook Pro, not a MacBook. There is a difference. You can abbreviate it MBP.) How big are the videos you are trying to render/export? As rachalmers said, it sounds like a problem of space in RAM/drive from those two hogs. If your videos are getting larger, or your drive space smaller, you may have hit a threshold where you have to take something off to be able to do what you used to do. Onyx will clear some of the cache space if you run it with the defaults, which is what rachalmers is suggesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini. July 2012
I'm just wondering why the OP is using both Final Cut Pro, and Adobe Premier Pro? Both are VERY memory intensive, and take up HUGE amounts of space on the drive.
It seems the user is on a MBP, with limited resources to begin with. I'm wondering why he/she is not using iMovies? People often discount that program, but I do lots and lots of videos here for teaching and classes, and for my own entertainment... I know, I don't get out much :) and although iMovie can certainly chew up the CPU cycles when it's exporting, it does **** near everything.
What I'm suggesting is, if the OP is doing something for Light&Magic, producing the next Marvel movie, or Rocky XXVIII then spending some serious $$$ on the big new all singing all dancing Mac would be good, and he/she would sure need those programs - Final Cut Pro I'd think. But sure doesn't need both of them, and a 2015 MBP? seriously. Use iMovie. Comes with the Mac, and is free. No extortionate Adobe subscriptions. and surely runs on a 2015 mac.

I'm not being unkind, I'm just wondering.
For starters, I'd shoehorn a 1TB SSD into that baby. Clone the whole master drive with CarbonCopy, then just swap them in/out. Mind you, I don't hinks it's said anywhere what size the SSD is currently? and 51gb free is nothing.
I'm curious to see how the OP gets on.

and yes, get rid of AVG. It's useless on a Mac.

cheers
Robert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He did say the SSD was 250 GB (Post #5). 50GB may be sufficient, unless the videos are large, in which case the combination of source, scratch and output temporary files could well be eating that up completely. I agree on the 1TB SSD idea.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.