MacBook extremly slow compared to spec

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have an issue with my macbook, as I think it is running very slow, compared to the specs and age of the MacBook Pro.

I am a webdeveloper and I am running some simple tools for my development environment, tools that I believe shouldn't slower it down so much.

I have a suspicion that some specific software is slowing it down, otherwise it has got to be a hardware issue. I have had an Apple Ceritfied Partner debug it, while having it a repair for some other issues (the keyboard buttons that got stuck and battery that was replaced).

My specs:

macOS Mojave version 10.14.6
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
3,5 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB
Serial Number: C02TW3DHHV2R
500 Gigabytes SSD

I was hoping that someone here could help me debug and find the cause of the slowness. When I borrowed a friends old macbook (2014 or something) I was amazed at how fast it was, and it honestly got me a bit sad that I spent so many dollars on this macbook, while it is still so slow.

Software tools that I am running:

Sublime Text 3 (text editor)
Google Chrome
iTerm2 (terminal)
Laravel Valet (runs a nginx webserver + DnsMasq in the background)
Backblaze (for running backups - I have verified that when backup is running, it will slow down machine a bit. When Pausing the backup, it's a bit faster, but still unacceptably slow).

The slowness is not constant. Sometimes it runs fine. In fact, while writing this blogpost it's pretty swift. But I know it's just about time when my machine starts to be boringly slow.

Best regards from Copenhagen, Denmark!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Also, would you mind downloading, installing and running EtreCheck, EtreCheck? It may list where the issues are with your MBP? Also, is your MBP plugged in or unplugged (or both), while the slowdown happens?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.