MacBook don’t sync

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
Good day to all. Haven’t been here for a while everything has been working fine.
But over the last few days I’ve noticed that if I take a photo with my iPhone or iPad they don’t show up on my Mac in the photos app.
have tried the method is restarting the three items in question and also turned the router off and back on with no luck.
Any help please.
David

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi David

Might be worth checking the setting on both your iDevices in Settings > Photos >

iCloud Photos OFF; My Photo Stream ON

And on your Mac > Photos app > Photos app Preferences > iCloud >

On earlier systems "My Photo Stream" needs to be ticked.

(On later systems the My Photo Stream option was removed because it will only work if iCloud Photos is turned off on the iDevices - as stated above.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be clear - if you have iCloud Photos ON in your iDevices, then the only way to view them is via iCloud Photos turned on in your Mac. That is why the Photo Stream option was removed in later systems. So, to get what you want, use the settings I outlined above.

If all these settings are as described, then a final option might be to Sign Out then In to your Apple ID on each device.

Ian

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
Thanks Ian
Tried your ideas with no luck.
My biggest problem is the photo library as you can see from my older posting. there are three photo libraries.This is causing a headache I wish I could solve this issue.
Something will show up one day.
I often think can I delete one or maybe two of the libraries and start from there.
Thanks Ian. Sorry to be a pain,But its really bothering me.
David

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Ah yes, David. I had forgotten the three-library problem! Only one of them will sync; as you already know. And I think you also recall that by holding down the Option Key whilst Clicking on the Photos app, it will list all 3 libraries.

The only one that syncs is called the "System Photo Library" and it is that one that you need to open, and it's that one where you go to Photos Preferences (keyboard shortcut is Command plus comma) and check the settings as I described in my earlier post.

This is perhaps not the time or thread to discuss your library management. But you could move the 2 Non-sync libraries on to an External Hard Drive (EHD), leaving the System Photo Library on your Mac. And separately, we could discuss ways of transferring the pictures in these 2 libraries into the System one.

I'm truly sorry for all this hassle.

Ian

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks.
How can I tell which is the System Library out of the tree ?.Maybe a stupid question to you clever people.
Many Thanks again

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
David, when you hold down the Option key and then click on the Photos app, does it not bring up a list of your libraries? And assuming it does, as it should, is one of them not got System Photo Library alongside it?

Ian

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Will have a look tomorrow morning. Ill be back

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I,m back.Eventually found the library system that is required.I had to hover the mouse pointer over the three libraries to come across the system one. Good news. As a matter of interest what are in the other two are they similar to the system one?.
Thanks ever so much for your patience.Job done.
Sorry late replying as its been a nice sunny day here in South Wales .As I had some painting to finish off of the fencing.
Once again I hope that will stay as it is forever I hope.
Big thanks.
David. i'm glad of tour assistance.

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks
Do you think I should take the procedure after all what I've been through over the past month or so.Is it simple what happens if I get in a mess.
will think about it.
Thank You for your thoughts :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.