MacBook display problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1.5 15
Hi
I have a macbook that was given the ol beer in the keyboard treatment and went dark with a ghost image, before I bought it, leading me to believe that it was the inverter board had blown, I bought one online and replaced it but to no avail. The previous owner obviously had very little knowledge as they left a few screws out on reassembly but I don't think they should matter a lot. I could of course use it with an external monitor but kind of defeats the purpose of a laptop. So would like to get the display working without having to buy a new display. I cannot seem to find out if it is possible to replace the backlight, if this is the problem, or to find one for sale online, even on the excellent ifixit site. It is a 2Ghz intel core 2 duo.
If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful,
Thanking you,
Connor

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's hard to say what's wrong. Since you replaced the inverter board, you know that at least it's OK. Since the Logic board resides under the keyboard area along with other critical components. it could be just about anything. Have you tried using the machine with an external monitor to make sure it's ONLY the display?

If you got the machine for free, I suppose you could always look for another machine that has a broken display with the rest of it working OK, and do a swap. Otherwise I would not be inclined to spend any more $$$ on trying to repair it. If you're familiar with the ifixit site, you know how much a logic board would cost as an example.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1.5 15
Hi, thanks for that, I did not get the macbook free, I paid £160 for it so would like to get it going. I am trying to attach it to an external monitor but I have just noticed that the adaptors have changed and one end fits into the display socket on the mac but the other end which fits in my g4 powerbook does not have as many pins and so does not fit the display adaptor. So I guess I will have to wait and see if it is a monitor only problem. Will post back if any progress. Connor

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1.5 15
Macbook display

Hi the macbook does work with an external monitor. I am assuming that what is wrong is the backlight bulb, does anyone know if this can be replaced?
Connor

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.