Macbook Charger Broken = New Macbook??

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a 13-inch Macbook that I've had since like 2010 I believe? Anyways, the other night I was about to use my Macbook and I clipped the magsafe cord onto the side of the computer like I always do and suddenly it started smoking!! I freaked out and took the cord off the computer. But when I try to plug the charger back up to the computer the light won't come on, so it won't charge anymore.

I took it to the Apple store today and they tried to say I had water damage blah blah, but the last time I spilled water on the computer it was MONTHS ago and it's been running great ever since, so that's not what caused it. They said you can't "just" repair the charger part of the computer, as they would have to repair the ENTIRE motherboard and it would cost around like 750$ or something!?!? I might as well buy a new laptop with that money! That's ridiculous!! The Macbook is COMPLETELY fine except it just won't charge anymore. I was using it for the remaining hours of battery life It had after it started smoking and It was running like it always does with no problems. I don't want to have to buy a new computer! I actually thought it might've just fried the Magsafe cord/power adapter, so I bought a new one today and it didn't work..but I did buy the 85W one because they were out of the 60W..and the guy at best buy said the regular 13-inch Macbooks will work with the 85W power adapters so I mean...but it didn't work!!

So am I all out of options? Is there anything else I can do? or am I destined to buy a new Macbook? Please help!! This is very stressful! Thanks everyone!

OP
O
Reaction score
thanks! but i think my macbook doesn't have a removable battery! is my best bet getting a new mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately, water damage is sneaky. It has a way of coming back to haunt you weeks, months, later after the initial spill. You can read our spills Sticky at the top of the forum and get a good idea of what you're faced with.

Put your MacBook on eBay for sale. Make sure you note that is has undergone a spill and the current state of things. You may be able to sell it for enough to make a down payment on a new one.

My advice is not to spend any more money or time on the machine.

OP
O
Reaction score
Unfortunately, water damage is sneaky. It has a way of coming back to haunt you weeks, months, later after the initial spill. You can read our spills Sticky at the top of the forum and get a good idea of what you're faced with.

Put your MacBook on eBay for sale. Make sure you note that is has undergone a spill and the current state of things. You may be able to sell it for enough to make a down payment on a new one.

My advice is not to spend any more money or time on the machine.

Thanks for the advice. i'm thinking about selling it and using that to help pay for a macbook pro. how much do you think i could get for it? considering the computer itself worked fine after the charger was damaged. i'll take the hard drive out of it though and keep that to upload things onto a new computer.

so a damaged macbook like mine with no harddrive...around what would you think it could go for?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.