macbook can't update

Reaction score
I have a 2nd hand macbook from around 2015.
When starting up I get:
"A critical software update is required for your Mac, but an error was encountered while installing this update.
Your Mac can't be used until this update is installed."
I clicked Try Again several times, but it ends up the same way every time.

What to do?
BTW I'm new at Mac and only have some experience with Linux.

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok, then see if this discussion on Apple Support Forums helps,

Thanks, but that raised another issue; this Macbook Pro has 4 USB-c inputs, and apparently I need a special connector-bit to get on to the wired network - I don't have this cable...

I did find a Youtube video
meanwhile, showing a procedure that got me into the system :)
But now I'm not sure how to proceed, since in the top right of the screen I see Safe Boot in red.
I see my son's login picture (who is the original owner) plus an icon for a guest login.
I want to delete my son's profile, but as said in my starting post, I have no experience in Macs.
So should I simply choose Reboot now to start up in normal operating mode?
How do I make my profile and delete my son's? I do have an Apple-ID btw, because of having an old iPad.
EDIT: I managed to make myself admin because I knew my son's password. Rebooted and now enjoying going through the configuration a bit :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
EDIT: I managed to make myself admin because I knew my son's password. Rebooted and now enjoying going through the configuration a bit :)

Then you should also be able to create a new Admin user for yourself with your own password, and use it as If it was your own which would be the normal way of doing things.

- Patrick
=======

OP
L
Reaction score
Then you should also be able to create a new Admin user for yourself with your own password, and use it as If it was your own which would be the normal way of doing things.

- Patrick
=======
ehm... if you re-read my post, perhaps you'll see that's exactly what I did already :)

Unfortunately it didn't solve the issue; when starting up the machine I'm asked for the wifi-code every single time and the ".. critical software update it is required." message comes up in a loop :-/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP
L
Reaction score
That does not work though, because I keep getting the same issue.
I managed to do an upgrade to Ventura, after logging in with the trick suggested in the youtube video above, but the same thing keeps coming back - when starting up (which each time takes forever, BTW) I still get:
"A critical software update is required for your Mac, but an error was encountered while installing this update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I think you are going to need to erase the drive and reinstall macOS. Try to make a bootable USB installer like this,

You can get whichever version of macOS you want from here,

You will need to completely erase the drive from another drive, which a bootable USB installer will allow. macOS Internet Recovery, which is on my original link ( #2 ), will also do this if you are not comfortable creating the bootable USB installer.

OP
L
Reaction score
macOS Internet Recovery, which is on my original link ( #2 ), will also do this if you are not comfortable creating the bootable USB installer.
It did not work.
I followed the instructions for Recovery over the internet - it looked promising, but again I end up with

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You say the machine is from 2015, but you got Ventura installed. I don't think any 2015 Mac support Ventura. Here is what Apple says:

The missing update may not be available for that hardware, if it is, in fact, 2015.

You can try taking it to an Apple store and ask a Genius there to install whatever version will run on the hardware.

OP
L
Reaction score
You say the machine is from 2015, but you got Ventura installed. I don't think any 2015 Mac support Ventura. ..
I know the original post says ".. around 2015", but actually it is MacBook Pro 2017, I found out today.
Sorry for the initial misinformation.

edit - an as an update to this post, I can say I successfully (I think) deleted the whole drive and am now reinstalling again with the best of hope :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
ehm... if you re-read my post, perhaps you'll see that's exactly what I did already :)

Sorry, I wasn't sureIf you had actually done so or not or if you had totally resolved your Mac problems.

From your most recent post, it sounds like you are still In the process of getting everything repaired and working properly.

Good luck. Here's hoping everything goes properly.

- Patrick
=======

OP
L
Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't sureIf you had actually done so or not or if you had totally resolved your Mac problems.

From your most recent post, it sounds like you are still In the process of getting everything repaired and working properly.

Good luck. Here's hoping everything goes properly.

- Patrick
=======
yes, still in the process, but I'm about to give up.
Wiping the whole disk and installing Ventura went well, but the issue remains..

I guess I'll have to take it to a Mac-shop somewhere.

OP
L
Reaction score
to make a long story short: I'm simply going to install a Linux-distro on this machine!
The solution given in the video here is perhaps workable for surgeons, and thus slightly out of my league ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you ever create a bootable USB installer? I believe if you have installed an OS using this method, it might have resolved the issue.

Edit: I also just came across this,

Was your son an Apple Developer or might this be an "enterprise" MBP?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
It did not work.
I followed the instructions for Recovery over the internet - it looked promising, but again I end up with

I sometimes see this error when attempting to install the newest macOS. I usually attach an ethernet cable from our network, in your case you need a USB-C to ethernet adapter. It then runs the update, the progress bar only takes a few minutes. Then you can install a new macOS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.