Macbook - best one?

Reaction score
Hi!
I want to ask which Macbook I should buy considering my own requirements of usage. I don't really have a lot of knowledge about computers in general,
so I thought I'd ask you guys.
I plan on filming, photographing and editing a lot and I might use it for gaming at times.
I reckon I'll need lots of space and a computer who can handle most programs.
I don't want to buy the most expensive one(s) though, more the computer which is good value for it's money and works smoothly.

Got any suggestions? :Confused:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
- Do you have a max budget?
- Do you have a display size preference (13" or 15")?
- Do you want the lightest computer possible?

FYI. "Lots of space"...can mean a lot more money.;)

This may help us narrow things down.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Drat, I was going to say the highest spec you can afford.:\

15" screen is preferable for editing images.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Drat, I was going to say the highest spec you can afford.:\

That's a great statement...and works well with the "what's the max budget?" question.:) Now OP needs to let us know what the budget is.;)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes, preferably the lightest computer possible, since I want to carry it around with me. O:)
Previously I've had a 13'' Macbook Air for school purposes and edited worked fine. What would be the difference between 13'' and 15'' when editing?
Max budget would be around 13 000 kr (sek) which is around 1500 USD I think?
But I could go up a bit if it's good value. :Smirk:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
What would be the difference between 13'' and 15'' when editing?

Two inches diagonally...so a bigger screen to see detail in images and video, with or without zoom.

OP
A
Reaction score
Alright, well to me that doesn't really matter I guess, it's worked fine with 13''. O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I would suggest a Macbook Pro. A 13" means dual core processors versus a 15" with quad-core processors which is a big difference in computing power. With a budget of $1500 US dollars I would suggest checking out the apple refurbished store. Apple does an excellent job refurbishing them and they come with a year of applecare.

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info.

Basically we would be deciding between the 13" MacBook Air & 13" MacBook Pro. The 13" MacBook Air is lighter...but the 13" MacBook Pro is more technologically advanced (has the retina display, better graphics hardware, and the touchbar of that interests you).

There are four 13" MacBook Pro's:

- $1299 (Entry level, no Touchbar)
- $1499 (better graphics hardware than previous model, more storage than previous model, no Touchbar)
- $1799 (Faster CPU, slightly better better graphics than previous model, same storage as previous, has touchbar)
- $1999 (More storage than previous model)

You didn't say what you considered "a lot of storage".

If your budget limit is $1500 US...then it would look like the first two model's fit that budget. Remember that any of these models can be upgraded (more money)...and that you need to configure them with a much RAM & strorage at the time of purchase...since Apple consider's RAM & internal storage not user upgradeable.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. And like Lisa recommends. See if your Apple online store has a refurbished area. You can usually save at least 15% vs. new models...and sometimes slightly older models will be available as well.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, I don't want the computer to run out of storage when editing with heavy programmes and such.
I'm planning on using a hard drive as well for additional storage.
The 13" MacBook Pro sounds like a good option to me.
What would you guys pic if you were to buy a MacBook?
I'll look at the refurbished ones as well, thanks for the suggestion!:Smirk:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might want to hold off for another 4 or 5 days as Apple is going to announce a refresh of the MacBook Pro and MacBook at their annual big show in San Francisco. Whenever new machines are announced, that usually (not always) lowers the price of refurbs and current machines.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What would you guys pic if you were to buy a MacBook?

In case you didn't know..."MacBook" is a completely different model computer. It's more entry level & kinda meant for "normal" everyday stuff like email, internet, music, and playing videos. You're considering a "MacBook Pro"...this is a different model from the "MacBook".

The different model lines are:

- MacBook
- MacBook Air
- MacBook Pro

As far as what should you get? This is the question that we started the thread with. We've given you a bunch of info...I would have hoped that we would have moved things along a bit more.;) As Sue (badshoehabit) mentioned above...get as much computer as your budget will allow. If that's $1500...then the model mentioned above for $1499 will fit that budget.

But also as Chscag mentioned. Unless you're in a BIG hurry. Waiting another week or so to see if Apple will be announcing new models might not be a bad idea.:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I meant a Macbook Pro of course, sorry, I'm way too used to just saying Macbook when talking about it irl. :Smirk:
I'm asking what you would get if you were in my place, but i'm guessing it'll be the one for $1499,
which is the one I'm (strongly) considering buying from the info I've received.
I'll wait another week or so and see if the price goes down, thanks for the tip!
Otherwise I'll check if there's any site for Sweden with refurbished Macbook Pro's.
Thanks for helping everyone! O:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I don't want the computer to run out of storage when editing with heavy programmes and such.
I'm planning on using a hard drive as well for additional storage.:

Don't confuse storage (memory) with operating speed (RAM). Storage is how many apps and app contents (ie photos, videos) the computer will hold before it says 'no'. RAM is how fast the device works when dealing with any/multiple applications. Get as much of both as you can afford. I have 31,000 jpeg photos, some RAW, and 260 videos on my MBP which uses 207gb of its 500gb storage.

OP
A
Reaction score
With my last computer it wouldn't let me save because it thought I had run out of storage (memory), which wasn't true it was some kind of fault based on the fact that I hadn't restarted the computer in a good amount of time. So I meant storage and not RAM.
I'll get as much of both as I can get of course. :Smirk:e

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.