macbook battery cycle counter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB
I'm new to mac OS X, about to be switcher in 2 weeks.

I always see the "cycle count" mentioned in forums, I guess it is a good basis for figuring out stuff when the macbook battery has some problems.

wondering what free programs can I install that would keep track of this? something I can install right after my first boot to keep a full record of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz
Instead of using CoconutBattery, I was the Widget "iStat Pro" (which can be found here: http://islayer.com/index.php?op=item&id=7 ). It is a great Widget to have IMO. It displays battery life, charge, cycles, etc along with other useful information about your Macbook(i.e CPU use, Memory use, Processes, etc).

The only advantage that CoconutBattery has over iStat is that it will display how many mAh charge your battery has.

Also, you can always go to System profiler to find the same information that either CoconutBattery or iStat provide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Instead of installing any extra crap... um I mean software ;), just look at your System Profiler.

Go to "About this Mac" from the Apple Menu
Click on the "More Info" button
Twirl down on the "Hardware" section
Then click the 'Power' section and look there.

When you do that you will see all of the information that those extra apps provide.
System Profiler said:
Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes
First low level warning: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4122
Remaining Capacity (mAh): 4042
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 12465
Cycle Count: 80

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB ram
Nice widget, this iStat Pro.

How will the cycle count handle multiple batteries?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz, 512M RAM, 60GB HDD
Just did the About this Mac check, 307 charges in just under a years usage! Christ i charge it a lot, anyone else done that much? Interesting to see that the Mac charger doesn't charge when the batteries full, so no chance of an overcharge and therefore battery reduction? Like you get it your leave a mobile phone on charge overnight?

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for all the suggestions guys (^_^)

Another question, since we're talking about batteries...A friend has advised me to remove the battery from my toshiba laptop when flying/traveling. He says that his got broken during his last trip and his guess is that the airport luggage xray/scanning thingy might have had something to do with it. Is there any truth to this?

and more importantly, am I going to have to remove my macbook's battery as well when going on a flight?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
A friend has advised me to remove the battery from my toshiba laptop when flying/traveling. He says that his got broken during his last trip and his guess is that the airport luggage xray/scanning thingy might have had something to do with it. Is there any truth to this?

and more importantly, am I going to have to remove my macbook's battery as well when going on a flight?

thanks
No, X-rays will have absolutely no effect on your battery, and no, there is no need to remove your battery while in flight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB ram
I travel for work about 2-3 times per month with my MBP and have had no issues with the battery due to x-rays.

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
great, thanks (^o^)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz
Nice widget, this iStat Pro.

How will the cycle count handle multiple batteries?

From my understanding, the battery has its on little circuit board that keeps track of charge, cycle count, etc and transmits that to the computer.

Reaction score
I am sorry for hijacking but what do you guys do for power in air. Mag safe airline thing?

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am sorry for hijacking but what do you guys do for power in air. Mag safe airline thing?

yea i'd like to know about this too :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.