Macbook Audio lagging

Reaction score
Ok my macbook white that i got about 3 years ago is starting to act weird. When I play videos sometimes (usually for over 10-20 minutes) the sound begins to start lagging and the audio sounds really weird. When it gets more severe, the audio sounds like the speakers busted. But when I turn it off or put it on sleep, the sounds usually back to normal. I have no clue what to do with it and its starting to get really annoying. Is it something fixable, or is it fatal? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

C

chas_m

This sounds like you are running out of real RAM and having to go to Virtual RAM, which slows things down and generally makes the machine act as if its buried in fudge.

How much RAM do you have? How much free HD space?

OP
K
Reaction score
This sounds like you are running out of real RAM and having to go to Virtual RAM, which slows things down and generally makes the machine act as if its buried in fudge.

How much RAM do you have? How much free HD space?

Well my ram is at its maximum with 2 GB and I still have 90+ GB left on my HD. However, I did replace the HD and RAM personally a few months ago and I'm not the most computer specialized person. Do you think that might have affected it? Thanks for the help btw

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Just to see if you've installed it properly, Go to Apple on top left corner>About this Mac>More info.>Memory

Is all the Ram listed?
Further more, go to Applications>Utilities>Activity Monitor>System memory, and what is showing up there?

OP
K
Reaction score
Well yes the new RAMs are installed and functioning. Its been a few months now and I notice the faster speed, however, problems like the one I mentioned also occur :( But the problem didn't occur right after I replaced everything.
My activity monitor seems very different than the one you posted. 1.09 GB is active and only 42 MB is free. Wired=315 MB and 580 MB=inactive. Is there something unusual there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
can you post a screen shot of your activity monitor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you scrap google chrome?
There is much news on google chrome helper eating up CPU and Ram
Get rid of it using ApplCleaner and see what you get then!

OP
K
Reaction score
well the problem occurred before I downloaded chrome so i don't think thats the source, but yes I will try. Anyways, should i bring it to a store or repair shop or something? I don't really want to because i have to use my computer a lot for school and it costs money. But if its a serious problem thats only going to get worse, it might be better sooner than later i guess. I also find it weird that i haven't heard of anyone having the same problem. Maybe its not the audio lagging but something else...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First off, I'd scrap google chrome, as I can see all the CPU getting sucked by it from your screen shot.
I would also run disk permissions and run through this and install OnyX and run the automation process.
It also wouldn't hurt to run a hardware test Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test
Post back with the results from this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.