• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

MacBook and iWatch

Reaction score
OK I am new to the Mac World (well not really been about 10 years since I used a Mac) but any ways, I want to get an iWatch but I do not want an iPhone i love my Android device and I am just not wanting to change. Can I sync the iWatch with the MacBook or do I need to have an iPhone, I know I can not sync the iWatch with Android device.

Just curious before I make the leap to the iWatch.

Thanks
Abdulah

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yes, Apple Watch needs iPhone, as of right now. I have heard rumors that it might happen in the future, to not need an iPhone, that is.

You could buy an older (used) iPhone and use it to setup the watch.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Your question has me wondering about something but it will be a few days before I can test my thinking.

There are many tasks where the Apple Watch does indeed need the iPhone to be fully functional. I am wondering whether some functions might work without the iPhone. The candidates for testing have the same app on the Apple Watch and Mac and can be tied to the same Apple ID:

Messages, Reminders, Contacts, Music, Calendar, Maps, News

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's that I have found with very limited testing.

During all tests my iPhone was powered completely down. I should also note that my Apple Watch has a cel number of it's own in addition to wireless network access. The Mac and Watch are tied to the same Apple ID.

Mail -- I can read mail on the watch and send from the watch.
Reminders created from the watch appear on the Mac
Calendar events created on the Mac appear on the Watch but do not seem to go the other way. I'm not sure about this. An event created on the Mac didn't appear on the Watch but it may need more sync time.
Messages doesn't seem to send from the watch without the phone.

If there are Android apps that have Mac and Watch versions that might work as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Messages doesn't seem to send from the watch without the phone.
Messages should send from the Watch without the iPhone nearby. Especially with it's own cell service. My wife had one and when she used her watch to send messages, I was asked if I wanted to add that cell number to her contact card.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My guess is that the Apple Watch will most likely be a companion device to the iPhone. Making it a stand alone device would make it very expensive and the screen size isn't conducive to have it take over as a stand-alone communication device.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The AW is linked to a dedicated iPhone app called, not surprisingly, Watch. A lot of applications, weather, health, music apps are all mirrored from the iPhone rather than actually loaded on the AW. Some iPhone applications include “complications” that can be loaded on the AW allowing you to add them to watch faces. Without the iPhone I cannot see how you could obtain the complications or even load the various watch faces.
Last but certainly not least you need an iPhone to link your AW to your Apple ID at initial setup and not even an iPad can do this.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Messages should send from the Watch without the iPhone nearby. Especially with it's own cell service. My wife had one and when she used her watch to send messages, I was asked if I wanted to add that cell number to her contact card.
I am not sure what happened last night and I didn't have much time to spend on this last night. You are right though. I'm sure I've sent texts recently from the watch without my phone.

@ Rod Thanks for the reminder about needing an iPhone for the initial setup of the watch.

I too have seen the rumors about making a version of the watch that could pair with Android devices, Even if that comes to pass there might be limited functionality -- especially finding a work-around for complications.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
As we are aware, setting up requires pairing via a sort of moving QR code on the AW scanned to the Watch app on the iPhone. I imagine an Abdroid version of the Watch app could be produced but I have apps on my iPhone like AccuWeather which has a complication for the AW. It's downloaded from the iPhone to the AW so that a full screen display of the app can be viewed on the AW and that seems like a real stumbling block to pairing with an Android device. Surely that would require Android app developers to produce android complications for AW. Seems unlikely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.